Double Smoked Ham (Bear Style)

Discussion in 'Pork' started by bearcarver, Oct 8, 2015.

1. daricksta

daricksta Master of the Pit OTBS Member

I like the idea of your meat cuts to catch the basting juices. For myself, I don't prefer pork shoulder or shank, the taste is two different aminals [sic]. I've never smoked a ham--pre-cooked or otherwise--and probably won't since although the wife likes ham she only likes it at Easter. Hey--maybe that's when I'll smoke it, weather permitting.

2. bearcarver

bearcarver Smoking Guru OTBS Member

Thanks Rick!!

These ones that I Double Smoke are from the leg, not the shoulder, so these are no different---They are exactly the same.

They are actually regular Hams, but they've been cut in half (Butt Ends and Shank Ends).

So the shops that smoke the Hams cut them in half, then usually remove a few "Ham Steak" slices, and sell what's left "Cheap" as "Butt Ends" and "Shank Ends". Then I smoke those again, and save a lot of $$$.

Bear

Last edited: Jan 8, 2016
  3. daricksta

Thanks yourself! I never heard of butt ends and shank ends. All I really know about ham is that some types are better than others. I thought there were shoulder hams and leg hams. On the leg ham, which is the butt end and which is the shank end? I imagine the butt end is higher up on the leg. Looking at a diagram of a pig it looks like the leg goes up a long way.

4. bearcarver

The shank end of a ham comes from the lower portion of the pig's leg. The shank half of a ham is usually bigger than the butt half, with more meat, and has a tapered shape. The shank end is easier to carve because it has less tissue connecting the meat to the bone. Some butchers and chefs prefer the shank end of ham, believing the butt end has more gristle and fat.

The butt end of a ham is smaller than the shank end, and the meat is leaner. Because the bone in this portion of the ham has an irregular shape, it is harder to carve. Some cooks prefer the butt end, believing it has a meatier taste.

Bear

5. daricksta

Thanks. I think the most prevalent hams in supermarkets are the shank ends.

6. whistech

whistech Smoking Fanatic SMF Premier Member

Bearcarver, that is a delicious looking ham!

7. bearcarver

Thank You!!

We Love Double Smoked Hams----Even Mrs Bear !!!!

Bear

8. Looks great Bear. My ham is going on the smoker today. Having a bunch of my local Mexican friends over for dinner in San Felipe, Mexico. They go ape because they don't smoke meat here in Mexico, so it is a real treat for them.

9. bearcarver

Thank You Baja!!

Enjoy,

Bear

10. jetsknicks1

jetsknicks1 Smoking Fanatic

The fat in the pan above the ham is just genius! I cannot wait to try this, I just sent my wife a photo of the finished product to get her thinking about it. :biggrin:

11. bearcarver

Thank You!!

That was a good move---sending her the Pic!!

And Thanks for the Points.

Bear

12. jetsknicks1

Just picked this up today. I couldnt find the same one you had so I got this semi boneless one. There's not much fat but can I still trim off all the skin and use it in a pan above the ham? I'm going to toss it on tomorrow, this will be my first ham.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2016
  13. bearcarver

Sure---You can trim it right to the meat if you want. There should be some fat under the skin. Most people don't eat much of the fat (I used to), so you can put it all in that pan.

Make the holes all close enough to the center of the pan, so all the drips land on the Ham below.

Bear

14. jetsknicks1

Thanks Bear.

15. jetsknicks1

What type of wood is suggested for ham?

16. jetsknicks1

Into the smoker it goes.

I wish I took better photos lol.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2016
  17. ol smoky

ol smoky Smoke Blower

Looks good to me!

18. bearcarver

LOL---I'm a Bad one to ask what wood is best.

I use Hickory about 95% of the time on all of my smokes. Can't help it---I love Hickory Smoke!!

Your Pics are Fine!!

Bear

19. jetsknicks1

Thanks guys. I feel the same way about apple wood so that's what I'm going with. Thumbs Up

20. daricksta

I just read on MSN that the global hickory wood shortage is directly attributable to you, Bear. You use it 95% of the time which has resulted in there being only 5% left...

Last edited: Jan 16, 2016