Double Freezer

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Eggersbbq

Original poster
Sep 15, 2018
Finally got my hands on my double door freezer. Thinking of building this into two smokers. That way i can run low and slow on side and higher temps if needed on the other. Thinking of making it Electric wirh a pid controller. Below are pictures of smoker and the PID controller i was thinking of using. Any help would be awesome.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190228-185410.png
    Screenshot_20190228-185410.png
    359.9 KB · Views: 75
  • 20181204_212243.jpg
    20181204_212243.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 77
Reactions: Beanhall
That is a beast of a freezer. I will never build my own smoker but I am a great fan of watching others do stuff. Following for sure.

Reactions: cooker613
Did you give it any thought as to the wattage of the elements you plan on using and weather it will be 120v or 220v?
Finally got my hands on my double door freezer. Thinking of building this into two smokers. That way i can run low and slow on side and higher temps if needed on the other. Thinking of making it Electric wirh a pid controller. Below are pictures of smoker and the PID controller i was thinking of using. Any help would be awesome.

Will take quite a bit of heat/energy to get upto temps then a big open door to ck anything and you start over again, be great for lot of sausages or meats and with temp controls you can see what the meat is doing without opening the big door, a smaller door may be useful just to have a peek without loosing a lot of heat

Put a pellet burner in 1 side that way you will have some great temperatures control along with a wide range

What are the inside dimensions of the cooking chamber?
Will take quite a bit of heat/energy to get upto temps then a big open door to ck anything and you start over again, be great for lot of sausages or meats and with temp controls you can see what the meat is doing without opening the big door, a smaller door may be useful just to have a peek without loosing a lot of heat

This is going to be a large project and a lot of things as all ready mention will have to be covered. Is the inside plastic or metal I would assume with it being a commercial looking unit it is metal.

Warren

I was wondering if i could use the racks that were in the freezer. They are super heavy duty but are galvanized. Could i paint or do something with these so i can use them. Thanks

Galvanized metal puts off a toxic gas when it gets hot. Its not good to put food on it or any painted surfaces. You might be able to strip the galvanizing off with muriatic acid. I know it strips chrome. Do a google search on it. Some thing should pop up. If it works be sure to neutralize the acid afterwards.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky