Doing this one thing while making sausages can KILL you, please STOP! "2 guys and a cooler"

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I'll admit, didn't watch the video. But am a firm believer if you find a study that says one thing, if you look, or wait a few months you will find a study that says the opposite...or, ooopppsss, we were wrong. Now, each of us need to make our own decisions based on our own beliefs and or research...I only decide for myself. First hand I heard from my Dr. how what prescriptions are pushed...the ones that come with the most money spent by drug companies. Secondly, I grew up on a farm, been in the sun all my life, sunburned who knows how many times. Been around chemicals, although tried to be cautious, ya always get some on you eventually. Drink too much, smoked cigarettes for over 30 years of my life. Then there's genetics...dad is 86, retired 2 years ago but still helps with the farming...most people wouldn't put him much over 70. Mom passed 2 years ago, and battled health issues for years. My wife took care of her for the last 3 years before she passed...she was taking 44 prescribed pills each day...think that might cause some issues? And she had been an R.N. all her life and licensed home health care as well worked with hospice before she retired. So yes she was involved in the medical field all her life, and I seem to be lucky to have inherited more of her health than dad's. So I rarely put much faith in any study. Move to California...everything in this world causes cancer in that state ( only say that because I believe almost every tool I buy says so). And yes...I did eat dirt as a kid. So take every study with a grain of salt.

Ryan

Reactions: DRKsmoking
I've read the dietary nitrates like beets and celery etc need to be oxidized for curing purposes, pureed or air sprayed and dried etc but in whole form the vitamin C antioxidant is the key to keep it from oxidizing so eat away. The beet powder people stir in water as a dietary nitrate may be loaded with added vitamin C. I don't know but juicing a celery plant will oxidized quickly and start turning from a bright geen to a browner color very quickly in 15 minutes Also, to fry bacon lower @ 300 over a longer period of time or in the oven over 20 minutes to prevent so much Nitrosamine formation like at high heat.

Me 3... Picked up cool hacks in the day when the web got going, one being syntax. Look it up. Cool stuff you can do with a search. My go to is +
IE: nitrosamine+bacon+cancer
I think that's how I found that cite.

Sorry I don't buy it.
I been tasting my raw mixed meat for years....I'm still here.

Reactions: chopsaw
Everyone has their boogeyman. Nitrites/nitrates is not one of mine.

From Meat Scientist Keith Belk, PhD:

Some people worry about nitrite and its relationship to diseases such as cancer. A study conducted by the U.S. National Toxicology Program, responsible for discovering whether certain chemicals cause cancer, showed otherwise. After a several year investigation, it was found that sodium nitrite does not belong on the list of substances of carcinogenic substances.

Instead, sodium nitrites found in cured meats actually have some health benefits. After years of research, National Institutes of Health and University of Texas Health Science Center at Houston scientists have learned the human body needs a certain level of nitrite to regulate the nitrogen cycle. Some possible benefits to incorporating a healthy level of nitrites into one’s diet includes the following: blood pressure regulation, promote wound healing, promote successful organ transplant, treat sickle cell anemia and prevent gastric ulcers.

Stuffing insulation one day . Asked the Forman for a dust mask . He said " What's the matter kid , you want to live forever ? "
I told him I'd at least like to make Friday so I could get my check .

I'm not buying it either .

Reactions: Brokenhandle
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky