Doing my first Brisket (flat) this weekend...have questions

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

dougmays

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Nov 18, 2010
Gainesville, FL
i've been following alot of threads on briskets and i think i know the majority of what i need to do.  I'm going to use Texas BBQ Rub and inject with apple juice.

here are my questions

- how long? from what i've read its the same timing for butts (1.5hr per lb).  My brisket is just under 4lbs...so should it take 7-8 hours roughly?  i've seen alot of people saying it'll take 12 hr for even a brisket this size?

- How much fat to i trim off the cap?

- cap up or down does it matter or is it just like a butt, up in the air?\

i'll post pics starting tonight!

Usually around 1.5 hours per pound but that's just a rough guideline as I have had them so way longer and way shorter. Basically its done when the temp says its done. If I am planning out the meal for a certain time I figure 2 hours per lb and then I know it will be done and I will have plenty of time for it to rest in the cooler and what not. The meat will stay warm for hours in the cooler so there is no harm in getting it done early. Now as far as fat cap and putting it up or down that's all a personal preference. Some say one way and some say the other so there is no right or wrong way. Good luck and make sure you post some Qview.

icon_cool.gif

Well Rbrans told you right with the 1.5 hours a pound. Thats a rough estimate for every brisket has a mind of it's own and it will take as long as it wants. For you other questions I only cut off the hard fat on the top of the brisket and I save it for sausage making. Then I always smoke my briskets fat cap up and let the fat melt down into the meat while it smokes. So smoke on and I will check back in to see the Q-view.

Just a suggestion....  I might change that injection from apple juice to some beef broth, or lea and perrins, or garlic marinade, or something savory.  The sweet stuff like apple juice goes much better with pork than beef.  While everybody has their own personal taste, that's kind of a rule of thumb that I use. 

Just a suggestion....  I might change that injection from apple juice to some beef broth, or lea and perrins, or garlic marinade, or something savory.  The sweet stuff like apple juice goes much better with pork than beef.  While everybody has their own personal taste, that's kind of a rule of thumb that I use. 

Oh yea I missed that part of the post. I agree I always use a mixture of beef broth, V8 and spices. But who am I to tell you that apple juice wouldn't be good as well.

There are many different ways that people smoke their pork butts here. Here is how I do mine. I don't cut the fat cap off, I score it and then back diagonal. I also cook them fat cap down to help with temperature spikes or flare ups. I have a MES now, but still do the fat cap down...force of habit. As far as time......don't worry about the time. Use a probe and let the temperature tell you when its done. I would do a 2 hr per pound if you would like a safe estimate. Nothing wrong with letting it rest in the cooler more than an hr. Hope this helps. 

Chris

I would agrre w/ the others , Savory will go alot better w/ beef than sweet. i use beef broth mixed w/ a teaspoon of liquid crab boil as an injection . When i had my SFB i would smoke cab down . Now w/ the mes ,i trim to about a 1/2" and score the fat and smoke cap up.

Lots of good ideas here. I agree with the beef broth base for your injection. I also like to use some steak seasoning with the rub. Looking forward to the Qview.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky