Doing Combo Punch but Which First?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

nutt

Smoke Blower
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Sep 19, 2011
Fort Collins Colorado
So I’m confused about what cook goes first....or does it even matter?? I was thinking of doing a brisket for Super Bowl Sunday and was playing with the idea of smoking/SV’ing for the 1st time.

So which do I do first, Smoke or SV? Most I have come across seem to smoke 1st so it seems. But I’m wondering does it matter?

Or is doing this even worth it folks?!?!

I smoke first so I can't either cold or hot smoke to get smoke to penetrate the meat especially cold smoking corned beef for pastrami. You can do it after to dry the roast before searing and add smoke mostly to the outside. It maybe be easier to over cook the center if hot smoking after SV since the roast is at your desired doneness when pulled from the SV.

I always do the smoke portion first & take the IT up to 5 degrees below the temp that I will be SV'ing at. For pastrami, I take the IT to 150 in the smoker, then 24 hours in the SV at 155 degrees. Comes out perfect every time!
Al

Reactions: crazymoon and S-met
Ya know that makes sense...to not kill it do the smoking first.
So I was just thinking of doing a brisket and burnt ends for super bowl and thought of mixing it up with the SV, honestly because I don’t want to be wiped out from smoking for 10hrs by the time the game starts. I only have my cheap offset so have to babysit the entire time, hence the SV!

Would I still get a great end product say if I smoked for 4 or 5 hrs then threw into SV? I imagine it would take 30 hrs or more to break down a tough brisket but will read up today about that.

thanks again for your input guys!!!!!

Reactions: S-met
I always do the smoke portion first & take the IT up to 5 degrees below the temp that I will be SV'ing at. For pastrami, I take the IT to 150 in the smoker, then 24 hours in the SV at 155 degrees. Comes out perfect every time!
Al
With pork-butts, I smoke till I hit the stall, then SV the rest of the way.

Ya know that makes sense...to not kill it do the smoking first.
So I was just thinking of doing a brisket and burnt ends for super bowl and thought of mixing it up with the SV, honestly because I don’t want to be wiped out from smoking for 10hrs by the time the game starts. I only have my cheap offset so have to babysit the entire time, hence the SV!

Would I still get a great end product say if I smoked for 4 or 5 hrs then threw into SV? I imagine it would take 30 hrs or more to break down a tough brisket but will read up today about that.

thanks again for your input guys!!!!!
Yes, this will work well, see my post above. You could even smoke 4-5hrs on Saturday then sv until Sunday.

Reactions: crazymoon
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky