Doing a new batch of cheese.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bradger

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Aug 12, 2019
northern NJ
Trying a new batch of Cheese today its starting to get a little warm but i think i'll be ok. I have smoked at this temp before, I'll be using my maze and once it starts smoking the heat will go off.
I have marble cheddar a havarti (little worried about this one with themp) a garlic cheader and a munster.
Planing on a second smoke for some on Tuesday
I might vaccume seal theses when done.
Do you freeze yours after the Vacuum seal?

Attachments

• DSCF3382.JPG
    DSCF3382.JPG
    113 KB · Views: 44
  • DSCF3383.JPG
    DSCF3383.JPG
    111.9 KB · Views: 46
Sounds good bradger.

Just refrigerate after vac sealing, no need to freeze. I’ve had cheese that was in the fridge for 3 years. Most of my current cheeses are 2 years old right now.

Freezing can change the texture of your cheese and make it crumbly.

Trying a new batch of Cheese today its starting to get a little warm but i think i'll be ok. I have smoked at this temp before, I'll be using my maze and once it starts smoking the heat will go off.
I have marble cheddar a havarti (little worried about this one with themp) a garlic cheader and a munster.
Planing on a second smoke for some on Tuesday
I might vaccume seal theses when done.
Do you freeze yours after the Vacuum seal?
Still way to hot down south. Like all the cheese in the pics. Good luck.

First round i smoke waiting three days to see if it needs a second dose.
tooth picks are so i could identify them
1 garlic cheddar
2 marble cheddar
3 Havarti
4 Munster
also through on baby Swiss not pictured

Attachments

• DSCF3392.JPG
    DSCF3392.JPG
    94.9 KB · Views: 33
  • DSCF3391.JPG
    DSCF3391.JPG
    92.8 KB · Views: 33
will do letting sit the recommended 3 days, so tuesday will see if a second smoke is necessary.

Just tried the Havarti pretty good, it could probably do with a second smoke, but i don't have the time, planing on using it on mac and cheese tonight.
On another note i saw another cheese at the store that looked interesting a chipolti Gouda.

Just tried the Havarti pretty good, it could probably do with a second smoke, but i don't have the time, planing on using it on mac and cheese tonight.
On another note i saw another cheese at the store that looked interesting a chipolti Gouda.

Thanks for letting us know. I'll be getting some to smoke as well.

I do cheese (Mozzarella) twice a year. When I get down to 7-8 blocks of previous smoke session, I then do another couple dozen. This allows me to let the latest batch to sit in the fridge for a good 2-3 months, to mellow out, before needing to touch it.

I also smoked baby Swiss the same day it was around 70 degrees it got a great color and flavor i think the warm temp really helped the cheese. only down side i had to check it frequently.
DSCF3404.JPG

Smoked swiss is awesome! I let my cheese sit in the fridge for a couple days on the rack then wipe off any oils that may be on it and then vac seal it up. No freezer necessary!

Waiting for it to get cool around here so I can smoke some...record high 96 today

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky