• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Doing a new batch of cheese.

bradger

Smoking Fanatic
Joined Aug 12, 2019
Trying a new batch of Cheese today its starting to get a little warm but i think i'll be ok. I have smoked at this temp before, I'll be using my maze and once it starts smoking the heat will go off.
I have marble cheddar a havarti (little worried about this one with themp) a garlic cheader and a munster.
Planing on a second smoke for some on Tuesday
I might vaccume seal theses when done.
Do you freeze yours after the Vacuum seal?

Attachments

xray

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
Joined Mar 11, 2015
Sounds good bradger.

Just refrigerate after vac sealing, no need to freeze. I’ve had cheese that was in the fridge for 3 years. Most of my current cheeses are 2 years old right now.

Freezing can change the texture of your cheese and make it crumbly.

Hawging It

Master of the Pit
SMF Premier Member
Joined Jan 1, 2019
Trying a new batch of Cheese today its starting to get a little warm but i think i'll be ok. I have smoked at this temp before, I'll be using my maze and once it starts smoking the heat will go off.
I have marble cheddar a havarti (little worried about this one with themp) a garlic cheader and a munster.
Planing on a second smoke for some on Tuesday
I might vaccume seal theses when done.
Do you freeze yours after the Vacuum seal?
Still way to hot down south. Like all the cheese in the pics. Good luck.

bradger

Smoking Fanatic
Joined Aug 12, 2019
First round i smoke waiting three days to see if it needs a second dose.
tooth picks are so i could identify them
1 garlic cheddar
2 marble cheddar
3 Havarti
4 Munster
also through on baby Swiss not pictured

Attachments

Steve H

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Feb 18, 2018
Let us know how are Havarti comes out. I haven't done that one yet.

bradger

Smoking Fanatic
Joined Aug 12, 2019
will do letting sit the recommended 3 days, so tuesday will see if a second smoke is necessary.

bradger

Smoking Fanatic
Joined Aug 12, 2019
Just tried the Havarti pretty good, it could probably do with a second smoke, but i don't have the time, planing on using it on mac and cheese tonight.
On another note i saw another cheese at the store that looked interesting a chipolti Gouda.

Steve H

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Feb 18, 2018
Just tried the Havarti pretty good, it could probably do with a second smoke, but i don't have the time, planing on using it on mac and cheese tonight.
On another note i saw another cheese at the store that looked interesting a chipolti Gouda.
Thanks for letting us know. I'll be getting some to smoke as well.

cmayna

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Jun 23, 2012
I do cheese (Mozzarella) twice a year. When I get down to 7-8 blocks of previous smoke session, I then do another couple dozen. This allows me to let the latest batch to sit in the fridge for a good 2-3 months, to mellow out, before needing to touch it.

bradger

Smoking Fanatic
Joined Aug 12, 2019
I also smoked baby Swiss the same day it was around 70 degrees it got a great color and flavor i think the warm temp really helped the cheese. only down side i had to check it frequently.
DSCF3404.JPG

SmokinVOLfan

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
Joined Feb 27, 2018
Smoked swiss is awesome! I let my cheese sit in the fridge for a couple days on the rack then wipe off any oils that may be on it and then vac seal it up. No freezer necessary!

Waiting for it to get cool around here so I can smoke some...record high 96 today

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.