Dog Food Supplement

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Great looking dogs. I’m jealous.

In a different time (my birth year is, unfortunately, wrong on my profile) I spent the better part of a year in South Africa. My favorite friend there had two of those critters and they liked nothing better of an evening, than chewing their way out of their chain-link kennel and giving hell to the local hyenas and baboons.
They would turn up in the morning, faces chewed up and bleeding, perfectly cheerful and playful. Always seemed happy to get sewn up (usually by the gardener) and be back at it in a day or two.

Incredible dogs...

Both of mine came home one evening after "visiting" with a lynx. The scars are still real easy to see. No real damage though, and didn't slow either of them down the slightest.
Gary

I think dietary supplements are very good. I fed the dog natural food, but the vet recommended supplements. This is better for the dog because it gives more vitamins.

Huh??? My dog eats.....
Whole quail.... whole pigeons.... whole mice, gophers, packrats and any road kill that is within 100 yards of the house... bones/feathers and all....

Reactions: BandCollector
I think dietary supplements are very good. I fed the dog natural food, but the vet recommended supplements. This is better for the dog because it gives more vitamins.
Our vet told us about 3 dogs ago that if a dog will eat vegetables or fruit, raw or cooked, no salt, onion or garlic then there is no problem feeding them a bowl or two daily.

Like I said I actually prefer to feed my dog with purchased food as it contains the necessary vitamins and trace elements for dogs. When I fed my dog homemade food, he developed allergies, indigestion, and became lethargic and passive. The veterinarian said that he needs to choose a good food because he lacks vitamins, and he is allergic to some products, so I began to order my dog food. In fact, this food https://petsmatters.net/shih-tzus-food-reviews-2021s-best-dog-food-for-shih-tzu/ has a good effect on his health, there are no more allergies, the coat has become thicker, he himself has become more energetic, so I think that this is enough.

What's wrong with dry dog food? All my dogs/ Lab's have ever eaten is dry food with a TBS of Greek yogurt.
All but one has lived until 14 yrs old I'm not seeing a problem with dry food they eat Eagle Pack from puppy to death.

As I'm sure many are, I'm very particular about what I feed my dogs. Through a lot of reading about foods, I've found that you can't buy good dry food from any big box store, you have to go to a pet supply store such as PetSmart, etc. My main resource is https://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/.

So as I've gone down this path towards hopefully better nutrition/food, I started cooking my own wet food as a supplement to the dry. This is not in place of the dry. My recipe has an animal based protein such as boneless/skinless chicken breast and a plant based protein such as rehydrated dry beans like pinto. To those I add fresh or frozen, never canned, vegetables (such as peas, green beans, carrots, spinach), brown rice, apples and sweet potatoes. I never add any spices so to my mouth, it tastes kind of bland. All gets cooked down and I use an immersion blender to puree it. Put it into quart containers and store in the freezer.

I will add that the AKC doesn't really recommend nor endorse cooking your dog food at home https://www.akc.org/expert-advice/nutrition/cooking-for-your-dog-dos-and-donts/. They say that it's difficult to achieve a balanced nutritional diet, but I believe that they are talking more about a home made food as the only source, not as an addition to another source of food. If one is interested, there are many online resources for home made dog food, but it's to each their own. I enjoy making it and I feel that my dogs are OK, at least it makes me feel like I'm doing the right thing for them.

It's interesting that I found this thread today as I just finished cooking a batch.....

Edit to say that I even brush my dog's teeth, so maybe I'm just a little obsessed with their health....

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky