Does this Birch Wood look OK for the Smoker?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

gaz0001

Fire Starter
Original poster
May 14, 2021
This Birch Wood doesn't actually say anything relating to Smoker BBQ.

Its substantially cheaper than the Hickory wood.
Usually I buy the Oaklahoma Joe's stuff which is 5x more expensive.

What do you think?
Is it OK for the offset?
Thanks

20210530_155216.jpg

Attachments

• 20210530_155216.jpg
    20210530_155216.jpg
    110 KB · Views: 31
  • 20210530_155220.jpg
    20210530_155220.jpg
    187.3 KB · Views: 32

Thanks for the link buddy.
Seems its mixed.

Could certainly give it a shot though.
Maybe just throw 1 piece in after the Hickory to bring down the total cost of the cook. (Hickory is so expensive here)

Just popped the manufacture a message.
Seems you can smoke with it and it's light and kinda comparable to maple as long as you remove the bark first because it's oily.

I'll give it a shot and let you guys know how it is.

gaz0001, did you like smoking with birch? I used it a few times, and the family liked it. It will not be my first choice.

IIRC, PitmasterX on youtube uses it almost exclusively because it's so abundant in Holland where he lives.

Edit: Check that, it's Beech in Holland, not Birch. D'oh!

I used to use Kiln Dried Birch cut-offs from my Cabinet shop, and it was good----Weaker than Hickory, and about like Maple. Wood from my shop was kilned down to about 6%, and steamed back up to about 7% or 8% moisture content.

However when we were kids, we used to snap off some green Black Birch twigs, and chew on them. It kept us from getting thirsty, and tasted a little like Root Beer. (Some say "Wintergreen")

Bear

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky