does it make sense to grind our own hamburger ?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Periodically we buy chuck roll and pull a couple of roasts from it, maybe a chuck eye steak or two, and grind the rest. Good stuff.

Old thread, I know, but yesterday I took out a tri-tip that had been sitting in my freezer for longer than I'll admit to, whacked off about a half-pound and ground it for my dinner. Nothing fancy, just cooked it smash-burger style, and I was blown away at the flavor and juiciness. I'm thinking I'll grind up the rest of it, and now I'll be on the look-out for more TT's, or other meats to grind. No more store-bought GB for me, if I can help it. Any suggestions on meats to buy are appreciated. I'm really interested in brisket, and has anyone ever ground beef cheeks?
And as a side note, my cousins raise their own beef and the hamburger they have shared with me (processed at a meat plant and packed in those 1-pound plastic bags) doesn't even come close to tasting as good as that tired old TT from last night.

I try to find deals on beef and pork and will grind my own. Recently I've been grinding a good amount of pork because it has been on sale. I don't make sausage and I only grind about 5lbs at a time and freeze. Ground pork will work just as good as hamburger in many recipes

I try to find deals on beef and pork and will grind my own. Recently I've been grinding a good amount of pork because it has been on sale. I don't make sausage and I only grind about 5lbs at a time and freeze. Ground pork will work just as good as hamburger in many recipes
I often take out a single pork country rib to grind for dinner and it's a real treat for me. While I use the LEM meat grinder if I'm making sausage, I just use the KA for the smaller amounts, it takes no time to clean up and put away. Freshly ground meat sure does beat store-bought.

Reactions: Smoking Allowed
My vote is for ground brisket. I still find them for 1.99 occasionally and it makes the best burgers of anything by my tastebuds.

Jbo

Reactions: Steve H
I purchased 10lbs beef rump roast on sale last week for $2.99 plan to grind it when I need burger.

My vote is for ground brisket. I still find them for 1.99 occasionally and it makes the best burgers of anything by my tastebuds.

Jbo
They do great for burgers. I haven't seen a brisket for under 3.50 pound in a long time.

Think I saw them for 1.99 right before Thanksgiving. Also lucky enough to have a couple of food thrift stores(for lack of a better term) here as well as a couple that sell miscuts when they can buy them in bulk to save folks money.

Last week one of them had chicken for $1.00 per pound any cut, even boneless skinless breast and tenders. You just have to get there before they run out.

Jbo

I purchased 10lbs beef rump roast on sale last week for $2.99 plan to grind it when I need burger.
I haven't seen a rump roast for years, but it may be that they are now labeled something else and I'm not smart enough to know it! If chuck roasts were within the means of an average person, I'd go that way. Thanks for the comment.

They do great for burgers. I haven't seen a brisket for under 3.50 pound in a long time.
Steve, even at $3.50 a pound, it's a bargain, since hamburger here runs about six-ninety-nine right now. And I'm still trying to talk myself into that crockpot I asked you about. The enabling..... Just bought a sous vide book....

• Haha
Steve, even at $3.50 a pound, it's a bargain, since hamburger here runs about six-ninety-nine right now. And I'm still trying to talk myself into that crockpot I asked you about. The enabling..... Just bought a sous vide book....
That's true. I might buy a brisket to grind this weekend.

Jbo

Ground Brisket Smash Burgers seasoned with Meat Church Holy Cow - I have no words, even just salt and pepper would be amazing. But with Holy Cow it was one of the best things I've ever made/eaten. I know I mentioned this way back in this thread, but I can't stress enough. If you're gonna make burgers and are willing to bake Google or go watch the YT video for Joshua Weissman's perfect burger buns. A little bit of work but nothing too hard, and freshly ground Brisket + his bun recipe will pretty much be the best burger you've had.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky