Does anyone use a Cookshack Smoker ?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Back several years ago, there were a number of complaints about the Cookshack, when compared to the MES, the basic complaint was the amount of time it took to come to temp, caused by low wattage elements.  I just looked a the current Residential models, and it appears Cookshack has increased the wattage to deal with that problem.

Cookshack has a solid design and used in both residential and commercial settings.

I got mine from yardandpool.com they were cheaper, offered free shipping...and it ships direct from cookshack anyway, lol

mods--I didn't see a prohibition against posting this link...if I erred, please erase!

I don't personal have one but my friend does and he can turn out some GREAT ribs , he does it both ways , with a rub and what he calls "naked" no rub only smoke !

we smoked one weekend , "we called it smoke-lahoma " 12 hours of straight smoking !

ribs went in , no spraying needed and two piece of chunk style wood all that was needed ,

i had my Cajun injector smoker also electric and at one point it started to rain my smoker had to move out of the rain his was in the rain with no problems and a ton of meat later still smoking and ready to go !

Very hardy smoker when its time for me to up=grade my electric smoker i will go to the Cook Shack smoker !!

A Little pricey but well worth your dollar !!!

I don't personal have one but my friend does and he can turn out some GREAT ribs , he does it both ways , with a rub and what he calls "naked" no rub only smoke !

we smoked one weekend , "we called it smoke-lahoma " 12 hours of straight smoking !

ribs went in , no spraying needed and two piece of chunk style wood all that was needed ,

i had my Cajun injector smoker also electric and at one point it started to rain my smoker had to move out of the rain his was in the rain with no problems and a ton of meat later still smoking and ready to go !

Very hardy smoker when its time for me to up=grade my electric smoker i will go to the Cook Shack smoker !!

A Little pricey but well worth your dollar !!!

I bought a used cookshack that  is about 15 years old I only gave $50 for it turned it on and as soon as the temp reached desired temp it shouts down Its a smoo8 any help would be appreciated.. Tom

Tom,

I would contact Cookshack and communicate with Stuart. Considering how little you paid for it, a new controller might be needed. He should be able to walk you thru some testing of the element and thermostat.  It is worth a try.  This is his email:

Stuart Powell <[email protected]>

Dave

Last edited:
I have two as part of my arsenal, an Amerique and an 09.  You won't go wrong with them as they build Cadillac's and the customer service simply cannot be beat. 

Thanks for the quick response I will e-mail him, from what I read about the cookshack it will probably be worthwhile to get it repaired..

I have had a Cookshack SMO55 (same as the 025 only a little larger) for 10+ years and its a great unit, as others have said no water pan or spritzing/mopping needed in fact it can get too moist in there when doing some things like beef jerky and you have to open the door about once an hour just to dump the moisture. They are also a great company to deal with and stand behind their products. They are also well insulated and work well up here in the winter then its frequently below zero on smoke days.

I have had the Smokette 025 for almost one year and love it. It is a very well-built unit and the accuracy of the digital temperature sensor and the digital meat probe are right on. Tested these with independent readings.

The unit is well sealed although there is a small opening on top through which the meat probe is placed and a small amount of smoke can escape.  Maximum amount of wood to use is 6 oz.so it doesn't need much.  Placing aluminum foil on the drip plate/heat deflector and the floor of the unit make clean-up super easy.

It is all stainless steel and looks very attractive. It has double walls and the outside gets warm but not hot. I have it on a covered portion of the patio and use it all the time.  The racks have a coating on them that makes clean-up easy also.  Rinse any big chunks off and into the dishwasher they go.  The only drawback is it might be too easy to use.  For example:

1. Place one or two chunks of wood in wood box.

2. Place meat in smoker and insert meat probe.

3. Set desired temperature on digital control panel.

4. Take meat out when desired internal temperature is reached.

In between time mow lawn, have a beer or just take a nap.  Dinner is ready when you are.

Cookshacks are well worth the cost.

My first Cookshack was a Smokette it is 15 years old now and still working like a champ, and it has never had a part  changed or needed any type of service

I sold it 5 years ago for what I paid for it, I don't know of any other brand smoker that would be worth it's cost after 10 years hard use

I just purchased my 3rd Cookshack and I can't say enough about them

They are well insulated, seal up well, and put out great Q with little effort and even less fuss 

They were made to smoke brisket and pork butt, but do a fine job on ribs and chicken as well

Yes.  I've used one SM055 for about 14-20 years.  Just bought the SM045 model (essentially the same, but with electronic controls).  The older one had a rheostat for temp setting and was pretty crude.  The SM055 was very well built.  Stainless steel welded assembly.  Before the sM055, I used a ECB and managed to burn a hole through my deck (dumb!).  Cookshack people are very friendly and their customer service is excellent.  Eventually, I had to replace the thermostat and wood box, but the parts were inexpensive.

I decided to buy the SM045 because of my experience with their high quality, larger grill size (I cook 25 lb turkeys), and better heater controls.  The SM045 will arrive this Wednesday.

It uses very little wood, because the unit is sealed with the exception of a 3/4" hole on top.  I have never opened the door during cooking in order to baste the food, but I'm going to try it.  When I do so, I will replenish the wood blocks (2-4oz).

I also have a SM025 purchased through yarandpool.com. Great service. I love it. You use so little wood, 2-4 oz. and literally set the temp and place your temp probe and when it reaches your desired temp your finished. No basting, no water pan, no adding wood or anything. It's so well insulated it works in winter as well as summer. I highly recommend it. From day one everything comes out great. It's so easy I feel like I am cheating.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky