Does anyone know of a recipe similar to Zeigler Red Hots?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Up our way we had a place called Charlies Red Hots. They used specially made hot dog from a local company(Mckenzie), but what made them special was the sauce. It was close to a Michigan sauce.

Here's one I make every summer:

Ok here's the Michigan sauce that I've been making for a few years. Sorry if this post doesn't sound right. I'm at work and have to hurry.

1 Teaspoon Salt
1 Teaspoon Pepper
2 Teaspoons Chili Powder
1 Medium Onion
2 Pounds Steak Hamburg
3 Cloves Garlic
5 Tablespoons butter
1 Bouillon cube
2 Tablespoons Worcestershire Sauce
32 oz of beef broth
½ Teaspoon Cayenne Pepper

Finely mince the onion and saute in a stew pot using the butter. Add the hamburger and the beef broth. Stir until hamburger starts separating. Add the rest of the ingredients and stir. Simmer until desired thickness obtained. Usually 2 1/2 to 3 hours. Add more cayenne or chili pepper if desired.

Chris

UPDATE - Looks like if I ever get to enjoy one again it's gonna have to be made from scratch!

It's been a long time since I bought any Zeigler's RHs, so when I went to town this afternoon, I grabbed a bag aaaaaand...they've changed the recipe!

Not only is there practically ZERO flavor, the texture is so loose that's it's about the same firmness as "cold oatmeal" (I mean, you can EASILY schmear this stuff now!)...BLECH!!!

I know now why they've started calling it "imitation sausage".

I mean, I get it that any company wants to save money, but why COMPLETELY ruin a product that people have enjoyed for generations and flies off the shelves???

Damn.

"Imitation" sausage?
It could be possible they are referring to the casings .

Love a good Red hot . Sometimes they sell them as " Red Polish " around here , but like said in post 11 always emulsified . I've had both Red and White . I actually poach mine because I don't want them split .

I think you could use any Bockwurst , Weiner or knockwurst spice profile and add some heat at the level you like .
White pepper
Garlic
Mace / nutmeg or both .

Reactions: SherryT
It could be possible they are referring to the casings .

Love a good Red hot . Sometimes they sell them as " Red Polish " around here , but like said in post 11 always emulsified . I've had both Red and White . I actually poach mine because I don't want them split .

I think you could use any Bockwurst , Weiner or knockwurst spice profile and add some heat at the level you like .
White pepper
Garlic
Mace / nutmeg or both .
I ordered 32/35mm casings on Wednesday from Syracuse...hopefully they'll be here today (perhaps Monday...you never know as they don't send a shipped email).

Gonna try making my own!

Reactions: chopsaw
These are some sausage I made loosely based on the German Augsburger from Marianski's site . Heavy garlic . Reminds me of Knockwurst . They would make a nice red hot with some added heat .
I used a food processor to emulsify .
1674916931213.jpeg

We used to have a "Red Hot" sausage like what this thread is talking about. It is not the same as a "Texas Hot Link" in texture, taste or appearance. It's more of a "southern" thing IMO.

The staff kitchen at the company where I worked in the 70's made sausage biscuits with them. Split the red hot in half and cooked in the convection oven in a sheet pan and then paired with fresh scratch biscuits. I have not seen anything in the stores since probably the early 80's with that same taste. Zeigler's was close, but not the same (the old recipe). I've tried about 7 or 8 brands over the years, close but not the same. Yes they were emulsified, but had a slight heat profile and bright red outer skin/casing (although the bite was casingless, so I presume the non-edible casings had a inner dye layer that remained when it was stripped). Like hot dogs, they came "fully cooked" and were basically reheated when cooked.

I wish someone would find/post a recipe as I'm in for making them, even if we can't get the red skinned casings.

They often split when cooked and looked like these (These are "Virginia smoked hot sausage" made by T.O. Williams - photo is not mine.... I have not seen these available near me to try either.

sausages-grilled[1].jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: jcam222 and SherryT
We used to have a "Red Hot" sausage like what this thread is talking about. It is not the same as a "Texas Hot Link" in texture, taste or appearance. It's more of a "southern" thing IMO.

The staff kitchen at the company where I worked in the 70's made sausage biscuits with them. Split the red hot in half and cooked in the convection oven in a sheet pan and then paired with fresh scratch biscuits. I have not seen anything in the stores since probably the early 80's with that same taste. Zeigler's was close, but not the same (the old recipe). I've tried about 7 or 8 brands over the years, close but not the same. Yes they were emulsified, but had a slight heat profile and bright red outer skin/casing (although the bite was casingless, so I presume the non-edible casings had a inner dye layer that remained when it was stripped). Like hot dogs, they came "fully cooked" and were basically reheated when cooked.

I wish someone would find/post a recipe as I'm in for making them, even if we can't get the red skinned casings.

They often split when cooked and looked like these (These are "Virginia smoked hot sausage" made by T.O. Williams - photo is not mine.... I have not seen these available near me to try either.

View attachment 657294

BINGO!

Zeigler, like so many OTHER mfgrs, has managed to ruin one of its most popular products.

There's another brand, "Old Timer", that's pretty good and sort of close to what Zeigler's USED to be...at least it's firm and not jammed full of salt.

And I love Red Hot biscuits, BTW! Haven't seen any on a menu in years, though.

These are some sausage I made loosely based on the German Augsburger from Marianski's site . Heavy garlic . Reminds me of Knockwurst . They would make a nice red hot with some added heat .
I used a food processor to emulsify .
He have Red Hots here but do not recall the brand. Agree with Rich on this, knockwurst with heat. Bet whatever you make ends up better than the ones you remember. That's the beauty of this hobby. The Red Hots here are hot and I mean _HOT_ and I like hot food. I have never done but bet they would be KILLER pickled.

Should be a number on the plane . I'll have to look at mine and refresh my memory . Some of the older Stanley plans bring good money .
I dabble with planes, looks like 50-60s No 5. Not junk but not as valuable like the older stuff unfortunately.

There is a YouTube video and recipe for "Red Hots" and they have the correct look. I have *NOT* tried the recipe yet tough. These were featured in the "2 Guys and a Cooler" Sausage Month for 2023. I would probably leave out the Carolina Reaper powder if I made this recipe.

I've attached the PDF of the recipe and here is the original video link where he made them:

Attachments

• Red Hots - 2 Guys & A Cooler.pdf
    396.8 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:
Reactions: geostriata
There is a YouTube video and recipe for "Red Hots" and they have the correct look. I have *NOT* tried the recipe yet tough. These were featured in the "2 Guys and a Cooler" Sausage Month for 2023. I would probably leave out the Carolina Reaper powder if I made this recipe.

I've attached the PDF of the recipe and here is the original video link where he made them:

If I ever get motivated to try my hand at stuffing links these will be number 1.

Reactions: Fueling Around

Thanks for the link.

SherryT SherryT did you ever make a batch of red hots?

I never got around to trying to make them...inadvertently ended up having to re-do my shop (went looking for a tool and down the hole I fell!) and then my Mom broke her hip which pretty much put the kibosh on everything until she got back on her feet (because, apparently, I have only one sibling that's NOT a useless oxygen-sucking meatsack).

Trying to figure out how a 145°F sous vide bath gets the sausage to 155°F IT.
It doesn't . I use 140 for the length of time for the diameter of the sausage . Fantastic texture . I make a Reaper hot link that's not for the tame . Damn hot is what they are . I use creamy coleslaw to cool them down .
If you want some reaper powder let me know .

Reactions: jcam222
I never got around to trying to make them...inadvertently ended up having to re-do my shop (went looking for a tool and down the hole I fell!) and then my Mom broke her hip which pretty much put the kibosh on everything until she got back on her feet (because, apparently, I have only one sibling that's NOT a useless oxygen-sucking meatsack).
Hope your mom's doing better and you have time to smoke on

Reactions: SherryT

Just made these myself, after getting inspired by this thread. Ordered the reaper powder and everything. I made these all-beef, which I know can be difficult, but they turned out all right. I think this particular recipe needs pork, even if only using the very best beef fat. Also, I didn't need to use sous vide for this. I did mine all in the smoker, no prob. Loved how spicy they were.

1712003803337.png

1712003824409.png

Here's what I'd do for next time:
  • Cut down on the dry milk by half. I just don't like the texture this causes as much.
  • Replace carolina reaper powder with crushed red peper flakes at 10g/lb. Should be quite spicy at that ratio, add more texture, and also I think it tastes better.
  • Add pork back fat (as mentioned by the recipe, but I'm stubborn). Add more fat in general. Mine were a bit dry, but still tasty.
  • No beer. I hate mixing in beer with my sausage. I don't like the taste and I brewed enough beer to hate the smell of stale beer. I don't want that in my food. I want to taste sausage, not beer/wine/whatever.
1712003883676.png

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky