Does anyone finish their pulled pork in an instant pot/pressure cooker? Opinions?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Mark W

Original poster
May 26, 2019
Hi all,

Used to have a Masterbuilt smoker for many years, did mostly ribs and chicken thighs. Before I got the smoker, we would occasionally make pulled pork in the crock pot. Very simple process that usually yielded very good results. Then, a year or two ago, made pulled pork in the MB, and it was fantastic, a whole different level than from the crock pot! Great smoky flavor, the bark was great. I used a very simple process, didn't wrap, just sprayed it every once in a while. After that though, I was never able to recreate it. The pulled pork either came out a little tough or dry. Not bad, but just not great. Also, I recently moved to a Camp Chef Pellet smoker, same thing.

So, now, I'm trying to come up with a method to get that great smoky flavor, but lessen the chance of it being dry at the end. I am thinking of smoking it for maybe 6 hours, then finishing it off in the instant pot for maybe 40 minutes? I'm hoping the instant pot will keep it moist. I love pulled pork, but my family is just okay with it, so it has to be good. There will of course be the benefit of a much reduced cooking time as well which would be nice, but not my main goal. Any thoughts? Thanks.

To avoid toughness, cook to probe tender. Use IT only as a guide for when to start probing. When the meat probes tender throughout, it should be tender.

For juiciness, catch the drippings in a pan, defat the drippings and add into the pulled meat and/or use a finishing sauce.

For reheating without drying it out, vac seal and heat the bag in boiling water or sous vide if you have one.

hmmm, I run my pork butts at 180 (high smoke for an hour or two, then 275 till probe tender. then let them rest s bit, hand pull and add the finishing sauce. I would keep it on the smoker till done. I never wrap mine either.

Im on a rec tec pellet grill so should be repeatable on other pellet grills.

This is the finishing sauce:
1 Cup Cider Vinegar
2 Tablespoons Brown Sugar
1 Teaspoon Tony Chachere's Cajun Seasoning
1 Teaspoon Course Black Pepper
1 Teaspoon Red Pepper Flakes

Your plan would work. Many folks smoke for a while, then add to oven, crock pot etc to finish. DougE nailed it with his advice. I go down that road first. I'm starting to think a pan is a game changer.

Your plan would work. Many folks smoke for a while, then add to oven, crock pot etc to finish. DougE nailed it with his advice. I go down that road first. I'm starting to think a pan is a game changer.
Sometimes I go all the way uncovered, sometimes I put the butt in a foil pan and cover at the stall. I think you end up with a moister pulled pork panning and foiling it, but the bark turns mushy. Bark isn't a huge deal to me, so I like it as well either way.

I don't. I smoke it until it is at 180 or 190. Then pull it out and rest it for an hour before pulling it.

Sometimes I go all the way uncovered, sometimes I put the butt in a foil pan and cover at the stall. I think you end up with a moister pulled pork panning and foiling it, but the bark turns mushy. Bark isn't a huge deal to me, so I like it as well either way.
Same method here Doug. You catch all of the juices to mix back in and easy clean up !

Keith

A dry pork butt is a pork butt that needs to smoke/cook/braise/roast longer. Use the search feature with the word "collagen." It is the tough connective tissue in shoulders, aka butts, that is caused by highly exercised muscles. Brisket on beef has the same characteristics. Collagen must be melted by heat or the meat will taste dry.

An overcooked butt will be juicy and mushy, not dry. A undercooked butt/shoulder will be tough and dry. An undercooked butt/shoulder that misses the mark by only a few degrees too low will be tender but dry. A butt/shoulder that probes tender all over, with just a hint of resistance, will be juicy and tender.

All meat is not the same. Lazy muscles get dry when overcooked (anything with loin or eye in the name) Working muscles taste dry when undercooked.

Try that butt again in any device you want and cook it until it probes tender.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky