Does anyone ever put there shoulder in a cooler and let sit for a while

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I rest my shoulder under foil for just a few minutes...because i pull it while its hot

I am a fan of letting meat rest in a warm, dry cooler. Wrap it in foil then a towel and let it sit for an hour or more. the temp will go up from the carry over heat.

I have a shoulder on now that I plan on giving a few hours in the "cooler". I think it helps redistribute the juices and makes for a better product. I do this with just about everything I cook low and slow.

just remember that while hot in a cooler you are still "cooking" so depending on what your cooking plan accordingly.

I am a fan of letting meat rest in a warm, dry cooler. Wrap it in foil then a towel and let it sit for an hour or more. the temp will go up from the carry over heat.

I have a shoulder on now that I plan on giving a few hours in the "cooler". I think it helps redistribute the juices and makes for a better product. I do this with just about everything I cook low and slow.
What ellymae said!

Interesting... I just cook them to the temp I want - typically 200*, then wrap in foil, a towel then into the magical cooler for a few hours...

icon_cool.gif

Now I have been here for a good while and I know ellymae knows whats ahe's doing so. I'm with her and say WHY do you put your butt back into the smoker. It's hot after only 45 minutes in the cooler???? Well we here in SMF say to pull your butt from the smoker at 200°or 205° and then place it into a dry cooler for atleast an hour. That will let the juices to go back into the butt. Then you can pull it if you want or you can leave it in the cooler for hours and it will stay pretty darn hot for many hours.

71ae3999_100_3129.jpg

this was the finished product after the cooler i put it back on for 50 mins but next time i will skip it

icon_cool.gif

Now I have been here for a good while and I know ellymae knows whats ahe's doing so. I'm with her and say WHY do you put your butt back into the smoker. It's hot after only 45 minutes in the cooler???? Well we here in SMF say to pull your butt from the smoker at 200°or 205° and then place it into a dry cooler for atleast an hour. That will let the juices to go back into the butt. Then you can pull it if you want or you can leave it in the cooler for hours and it will stay pretty darn hot for many hours.

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky