do you have a dish/sause that only you can make

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

cal1956

Master of the Pit
Original poster
Apr 14, 2015
Colorado
i think part of the fun of BBQing and cooking is coming up with something different from anyone else's
whats yours ? and is there reason for not telling how to make it ?

Reactions: Schwarzwald Metzger
Hmmm...I guess I don't fit your definition of bbq fun. Personally, I smoke / grill / cook / bake what I like to eat. It doesn't matter to me if it is different or not.

My wife likes to shake me out of my flavor zones on occasion because after almost 42 years of marriage she says things can start to taste the same to her. Consequently, I do recipe searches on the Internet, see what I have in the cabinet, and try new things. I change almost every recipe I try, either with ingredients or techniques. And the my recipes and techniques evolve with experience.

For example, I've been baking bread for a few years now. Two types are our favorites: rustic white bread and whole wheat sandwich bread. We go through a loaf of either bread in 3-7 days. I have both recipes perfected, but still fiddle with the technique.

Small differences can result in big changes. After making rustic breads last week, and whole wheat loaves yesterday, I decided to try a slightly different final proofing process with the rustic. I'll also try a lame (pronounced lahm-ay) cut on the whole wheat for the next round. I've posted recipes in the past that I've now changed. Those changes are probably the only hesitation I have about posting a recipe. It evolves with time.

With smoking, I prefer simple and hands off. I find the process exhausting when staying closely involved with a smoke for 6-16 hours. I'd much rather start the fire, let it settle, season the meat, toss it in the smoker (WSM), and check its progress 4-10 hours later. I don't even use a meat probe until close to the end of a smoke, if at all.

So, no secrets with me. Ask and you shall receive...but it'll probably change it the next time I make it.

Ray

I don't keep any recipes to myself that I know of. But here are a couple of dishes that I've sort of altered from their original versions. To see my changes I've included the links.

Deep Dish Pizza:
1651599954772.png

https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/threads/new-england-kettle-style-deep-dish-pizza.301012/

The bacon weave BLT:
1651600214803.png

The bacon weave sliders:
1651600474523.png

Not sure if this is what your looking for in a response.

Chris

Attachments

• 1651600154206.png
    1651600154206.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
the old timer that taught me how to smoke meat ( he was in his early 70s ) after some time of me helping him cook, made me swear i would never reveal how he made his BBQ sauce , i think the old timer realized he was getting on in years and wanted someone to carry on what he had created , now i'm kinda facing the same situation ( but not quite as old ) i think he would have wanted me to pass it on to someone that has the passion for the old ways as much as i do . but nowadays most smokers are only interested in high tech ways, and i don't think he would want it given to just anyone, and trying to find that one special person is proving to be a challenge

i think he would have wanted me to pass it on to someone that has the passion for the old ways as much as i do . but nowadays most smokers are only interested in high tech ways, and i don't think he would want it given to just anyone, and trying to find that one special person is proving to be a challenge
Yeah. Great point. Smoking meat is one of those things that truly benefits from the old ways. I'd go broke if I bought a stick-burner with the cost of cooking wood in my area ($400+ per cord). And even though a LOT of people swear by the convenience of electric-powered smokers, I don't taste the similarities they do. Heck, even my charcoal and wood WSM can't match a stick-burner, but it's closer than most, and lets me sleep while it bathes the meat in smoke.

I'm definitely not one to receive a cherished recipe because I couldn't leave it as is.

the oldtimer had a HUGE local following ( and a fairly large BBQ joint ) on summer holidays 4th of july, labor day and such he would smoke and sell 200+ slabs of ribs and still would run out , his smoker would smoke 70 slabs fully loaded ,we would load it about 4 am those days , and do it twice more before the day was finished ,
as far as i know i'm the only one he ever told /showed how to make HIS sauce ( i have never even once claimed it as mine )
my son smokes meat using a high tech smoker and has asked me many times how to make the sauce ...
i have never told him how
now i'll soon be 66 in just a few more days, already had1 heart attack , and have carried the secret for 30+ years and find myself wanting to pass it on but don't know to who

I have many dishes that I created. I often share the recipes but mine is still unique as I believe despite recipes things need adjusted to taste from batch to batch. I won’t say only I can make them but I do have a leg up on them lol.

Reactions: jaxgatorz
Unless it’s proprietary or related to competitions I’m not sure the hesitation of passing a recipe on. I can respect not launching it out to the internet if there was a promise, but in my opinion it would be better to let the memory and legacy move to someone else than end out of disagreement over equipment. I understand a Luddite perspective, and am in that camp for some things, but I’m also a realist. A comet or volcano may send us back to the stone age, but until then technology has its place.

I have a cheat sauce that I mix up using 3 different commercial BBQ sauces and some extra spices. Not sure if that counts or not.

Also have a couple of different varieties of smoked seasoned popcorn that I make.
I guess that technically counts. lol

the oldtimer had a HUGE local following ( and a fairly large BBQ joint ) on summer holidays 4th of july, labor day and such he would smoke and sell 200+ slabs of ribs and still would run out , his smoker would smoke 70 slabs fully loaded ,we would load it about 4 am those days , and do it twice more before the day was finished ,
as far as i know i'm the only one he ever told /showed how to make HIS sauce ( i have never even once claimed it as mine )
my son smokes meat using a high tech smoker and has asked me many times how to make the sauce ...
i have never told him how
now i'll soon be 66 in just a few more days, already had1 heart attack , and have carried the secret for 30+ years and find myself wanting to pass it on but don't know to who
Pass it on to your son please, it doesn't matter how he chooses to cook. All that matters is that he enjoys cooking for friends and loved ones.
No regrets, the old man would be bummed if he knew that you didn't pass it on to your own kin.

Reactions: jcam222 and TNJAKE
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky