Do you foil your pulled pork butts or not?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Yeah, keep on trying different things until you find what you like best.
icon_mrgreen.gif

I've only done three and I've foiled all of them at 165 deg. I brought the first one up to 205 and pulled it off, wrapped it and let it rest in the cooler and I got the same results you did. The second and third I did at the same time and the only thing I did different was I pulled them off at 195 and that seemed to make all the difference. They were firm but tender and not at all slimy or too greasy.

rb - i know that some people foil their pork shoulders at 160, 165 or whatever, then poke holes in the foil to prevent exactly what happened to yours. this allows the fat run out, but still protects the shoulder from getting any darker and also allows it to braise.

one suggestion: whether you foil the butts or not, or even if you decide to try the foil-with-poked-holes thing, devise a way to save the juices. most people simply use a foil pan underneath the meat. once those juices are de-fatted (put it in the freezer and allow fat to rise to top and harden, then remove the hardened fat), those juices can be added back into the meat for some really good, down-home porky flavor.

I used ta foil my butts at 165° then take em ta 195° then toss em inta a cooler fer a hour er two then pull. Never had a problem with em. Do lots of em fer caterin an such.

I've lately been takin em ta 165° in the smoker then inta a enamel roaster pan an finishin up in the oven. Basically cause my smokes been gettin started late. Everbody wan'ts ta know what I'm doin different cause the pulled pork is better then ever.

Hey, if it's workin why fight it?
icon_mrgreen.gif
Ya try things till ya get what works fer you. But like they've said, save them juices, thats liquid gold after ya defat it!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky