Do I need to burn off pork belly fat?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

DougCA

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Apr 14, 2018
I made some pork belly strips today. I turned off the LG900 when they reached temp as I had to leave for an appointment. The grill is now cool but am wondering if I should heat it up to high temp to burn off the grease fat from the pork belly. I've never really had any wet looking grease so far with other things I've made. I am concerned both with storing it this way and a grease fire. Is it best to fire it up empty and let it run for a while or just leave it be? If that latter, will my next smoke have a bacon flavor? lol

thx

IMG_0810.JPG

You can burn off small amounts. But I would, scrape or wipe up the bulk of the grease. I'm curious why it didn't drain into your drawer or bucket? Any way, have a fire extinguisher at hand. I've seen some large Grease Fires. They can get out of hand quickly...JJ

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky