DIY rotisserie project for 500lb. Lamb/Pig/Cow

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Jason Ziglar

Original poster
Apr 4, 2019
Hello everyone.
My name is Jason. New to forum, first post. Exec. Chef @ a country club in PA. Huge member event coming up in a couple months and I'm going to need to build my own rotisserie for the above mentioned project. Please!! Can anyone give me some direction on the fabrication process/materials I may need. I cannot find a pre-fab rotisserie that can handle that sort of load to buy or rent.
This was pulled off once before by a chef in San Francisco a few years back. I don't have the same equipment available to me that he did unfortunately. I've sourced the required meats etc but I just need some direction on the rotisserie. I imagine I'm going to need a fairly H.D. motor w/ sprockets. Thank you in advance and I would appreciate any input you've got.
Thanks
Jason

I would definitely suggest a motor with sprockets, the more sprockets the better imo. I wish I could be of more help.

I know a lot of people have used treadmill motors because of the ability to set very low speeds and their ability to handle larger amts of weight. Not sure about 500lbs though. Because it won't be just the 500lbs, you'll have to include all of the steel that will be supporting this meat, plus whatever other steel that will be part of the support system for the unit itself.

Reactions: the1pearson
Wow. All great points! I’m planning to use garden fencing along with a few hundred feet of butchers twine.
I was thinking heavy duty sprockets would be in order as well.

Have you talked to any local metal fab shops about this project?

I have used one that we did a 240# pig on and that SOB was heavy duty. Pig, spit and all was well over 350#.
Do you have pics of the other guys rig?

Just curious how are you gonna load (rough guess) 600-650# into said cooker?

Reactions: fivetricks
A friend of mine and I built a rotisserie for turning inside rounds. We used a 1" stainless steel rod, 8' long, with a sprocket welded on the end to accept a chain link hooked to a gear motor. It could turn around 400 lbs. of meat at a time. The base was a propane tank split in half, the end cut off and welded together for a 10' long fire pit, had short legs welded onto it. Angle iron welded A-frame style, then a vertical with notches in it to hold the horizontal bar, gear motor vise-gripped to the angle iron to drive the unit.
It was all mounted onto a hay bale wagon. We'd pull up to the gig and start a slab wood fire in the pit, then while the fire burned down to coals (kept adding wood), we loaded the bar with meat, using stainless steel prongs we made to slide up and down the bar, piercing the meats to hold them in place while they turned.
We'd start roasting the meats until 135° in the center and cut off chunks and put onto a slicer I brought from the store (I managed the meat department).
We'd slice the meat thin for sandwiches (roast beef on a wick) and serve salads and, of course, lots of draft beer.
Unfortunately, even though we'd only do this on Sundays, a health inspector showed up and cited us for various failures. Not having three-container washing facilities with running hot water, no sanitation solution present, and no sneeze guard over the meats. First two were no problem, but the sneeze guard? Over a very hot fire pit? Couldn't be done. The unit ended getting driven off a cliff and smashed apart..... After paying the fines, it was the best course of action....But, saying this, you need to:
First, contact your friendly local Federal Meat Inspection Office for any and all advice on regulations concerning your commercial endeavor. This website does not portend to be any authority whatsoever on State/Federal regulations; it is strictly a site for smoking enthusiasts and amateur endeavors sharing ideas, tips, recipes and 'how-to's of smoking meats for personal enjoyment.
Second, find out, through them, what requirements are for commercial equipment, specifications, operation, procedures, etc.
Third, what regulations are necessary for the meats chosen to cook outdoors or in an inspected kitchen or facility - do they have to have a Federal Grading Stamp on them like USDA Select, Choice, Prime, or is No Roll acceptable? These are all rules and regulations that must be met and adhered to.
Thank you for giving us the opportunity to read and learn about your quest and accomplishments! The above has to be stated to avoid our website in being complicit with advice on commercial operation endeavors.

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky