DIY Pellet Smoker Conversion

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

apache1512

Original poster
Jan 8, 2020
I was wondering if anyone has experience doing this. I currently have a smoker that I might be able to do this with. Just wondering if it saves any money and/or is worth the hassle.

I was wondering if anyone has experience doing this. I currently have a smoker that I might be able to do this with. Just wondering if it saves any money and/or is worth the hassle.
You might want to check out smokedaddy.com. Folks have used their pellet hoppers on various fridge builds. I don’t have any personal experience, though.

Hi there and welcome!

I dont have an answer for you but if you are wanting to save money then going with an Electric smoker (not pellet) and using the A-Maze-N Pellet Smoker (AMNPS) tray to produce perfect smoke for 12 hours hassle free.

I think the best electric smoker is to buy a $40-50 MES 40 on Craigslist or Facebook. Washout at the carwash. Do the simple rewire (cut 4 wire ends, splice to make 2 wires) and hook up a $150 Auber PID controller and you have a smoker that will outperform a brand new MES 10x over. use the AMNPS with pellets and u have set and forget smoker that will run forever on a bag of pellets and only costs the priceof electricity :)

As MasterCaster has stated, SmokeDaddy’s Pellet Pro Pellet Hopper conversion is a great option for you to check out... Is it worth the hassle? That’s completely up to you... They are a family owned company and they stand behind everything they sell. I converted my PB Austin XL into a Pellet Pro Austin XL and I have no complaints. Here’s a link to some conversions already done by others.

https://smokedaddyinc.com/offset-type-past-builds/

Good luck.

Pellet Pro Austin XL and a few more mods... In SoCal and Always... Semper Fi

I just realized that the original poster, posted his question back in January... Still great info anyway.

Pellet Pro AustinXL and a few more mods... In SoCal and Always... Semper Fi

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky