Disappointed in Camp Chef

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

BaldEagleOne

Smoke Blower
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
May 10, 2018
I've read nothing but good reports about Camp Chef in this forum. That's why I'm pissed about what's happened to my order. And I can't blame this on COVID!

In April, I ordered a 36" Woodwind with Sidekick jerky racks and patio cover. Delivery was to be in June. The jerky racks and patio cover would not be available until July. I told them to hold the order until all items were ready to ship. Instead: 1) the hopper and Sidekick were shipped on 6/3 and came on 6/7, but no smoker; and 2) I called CC on 6/8 and, after holding for a half hour, was told that the smoker was to be here today, 6/9. But it didn't come.

I checked FedEx to find that the smoker wasn't picked up until 6/8, so it won't be here until Friday -- if I'm lucky.

After receiving the first two items, I called CC and asked why the order was shipped when it should have been held until everything was in. They apologized. What could they do? Then I asked when the smoker would arrive, they said today, 6/9.

My account was charged before the items were picked up, which I don't mind, if the hopper, sidekick AND the smoker were shipped at the same time.

I'm surprised that this is happening when this forum's opinion of CC has bee excellent, but at this point, I'd just as soon have them pick up the shipped items and I'll look for another brand.

Shipping ain't cooking, give it some more time it might be worth the wait.
In case you have not noticed, the whole country is still wobbly over the Covid problem, warehouse workers and trucking outfits too.
Everyone PLEASE get the shots.

Really not surprised that there might be shipping issues. I have experienced these kind of issues from several providers. Camp Chef is not immune to them, I am sure. I typically have had really good luck with Camp Chef and their customer service. I have been using one of their pellet grills for little over 3 years and only issue I had was solved with "software" update on the controller.

Only wish I could find hunting ammo as easily as a smoker. LOL

Reactions: 912smoker
They ship at different times because of weight . Some are classed as heavy freight and some aren't .
Comes down to lift gate and pallet jack , or standing in the street thinking now what . That's to heavy to carry .
I think you will enjoy it . I know , it's hard to wait sometimes .

Shipping ain't cooking, give it some more time it might be worth the wait.
In case you have not noticed, the whole country is still wobbly over the Covid problem, warehouse workers and trucking outfits too.
Everyone PLEASE get the shots.
I hear you about things being wobbly but for example - I ordered a new pellet smoker last Thurs 6/3 (pitboss from walmart) and it shipped 6/8, arrived at destination terminal 6/9 & says to be delivered tomorrow 6/11 which i double checked with Estes (forwarding/trucking co making the delivery) and is ontrack. things can & should be working reasonably ok. a few months wait is crazy imho.

Thank you guys for setting me straight. FedEx said it'll be delivered today, so I can have it set up before the weekend. But your admonitions reminded me of a skit I was in at Y-camp while in junior high. My last lines were "Patience jackass, patience".

Reactions: Fueling Around
I've read nothing but good reports about Camp Chef in this forum. That's why I'm pissed about what's happened to my order. And I can't blame this on COVID!

In April, I ordered a 36" Woodwind with Sidekick jerky racks and patio cover. Delivery was to be in June. The jerky racks and patio cover would not be available until July. I told them to hold the order until all items were ready to ship. Instead: 1) the hopper and Sidekick were shipped on 6/3 and came on 6/7, but no smoker; and 2) I called CC on 6/8 and, after holding for a half hour, was told that the smoker was to be here today, 6/9. But it didn't come.

I checked FedEx to find that the smoker wasn't picked up until 6/8, so it won't be here until Friday -- if I'm lucky.

After receiving the first two items, I called CC and asked why the order was shipped when it should have been held until everything was in. They apologized. What could they do? Then I asked when the smoker would arrive, they said today, 6/9.

My account was charged before the items were picked up, which I don't mind, if the hopper, sidekick AND the smoker were shipped at the same time.

I'm surprised that this is happening when this forum's opinion of CC has bee excellent, but at this point, I'd just as soon have them pick up the shipped items and I'll look for another brand.
Right now every LTL carrier (XPO, FedEx, Yellow, R&L) are extremely backed up. I work in logistics and shipments that used to take 2-3 days are now taking 5-7 days. Don't get on CC too much about this. They are trying to get things out as quick and economically as possible I'm sure. There is a huge driver shortage. There are yards that have full trailers ready to move but no one to drive the tractor. Even FedEx has discontinued any guaranteed shipments as they know they can't keep up.

Really not surprised that there might be shipping issues. I have experienced these kind of issues from several providers. Camp Chef is not immune to them, I am sure. I typically have had really good luck with Camp Chef and their customer service. I have been using one of their pellet grills for little over 3 years and only issue I had was solved with "software" update on the controller.

Only wish I could find hunting ammo as easily as a smoker. LOL
What ammo are you looking for?

What ammo are you looking for?
Heading to CO for elk in the fall. My 7 Rem Mag likes Federal Premiums with 160gr Nosler Partitions. Probably have enough, but another box would give me some insurance to practice a couple more times. Been on backorder at multiple sites since late 2020.

In the meantime, I will spend a few more weekends using the Camp Chef and WSM for enjoyment. Busy this weekend, but I have a 19# brisket planned for next weekend.

Reactions: forktender
Heading to CO for elk in the fall. My 7 Rem Mag likes Federal Premiums with 160gr Nosler Partitions. Probably have enough, but another box would give me some insurance to practice a couple more times. Been on backorder at multiple sites since late 2020.

In the meantime, I will spend a few more weekends using the Camp Chef and WSM for enjoyment. Busy this weekend, but I have a 19# brisket planned for next weekend.
I'd of had you covered if you were shooting an .06
Man I'm jealous, I hope you find some elk....that meat is sooo good!!!
Have a successful and safe trip.
Dan

I'd of had you covered if you were shooting an .06
Man I'm jealous, I hope you find some elk....that meat is sooo good!!!
Have a successful and safe trip.
Dan

The 7RM is my go to, but I have been thinking about taking an 06 that I got 2 years ago but have not really figured out what it likes yet. Have a few boxes of CoreLokt. I don't shoot past 300 yards, don't have anywhere to practice past 250. Here is rack of my last one, broken tines and all.

IMG_1397.JPG

Yep, everything backlogged yet. Ordered a new depth finder for the boat April 6. National backorder until end of April. Checked again, was told end of May. Next call was end of June Called again yesterday to check on, now end of July with some extra perks I got out of them for inconvenience.
Wife's window treatments for her business were normally 10 days to 2 weeks out, are now 3-4 weeks out

I have to be patient for a lot of parts. Been a month trying to get parts for a broken roto tiller.

Friend owns local home store. His main distributor has a hard time keeping drivers. Some want to go back on enhanced unemployment.

I shoot 30-30 and my son got my restocked in Hornady which is my favorite.
I also shoot 308 and local Cabelas had a good stock (pricey) of Winchester.
I'm good for a few years on both unless ....

The 7RM is my go to, but I have been thinking about taking an 06 that I got 2 years ago but have not really figured out what it likes yet. Have a few boxes of CoreLokt. I don't shoot past 300 yards, don't have anywhere to practice past 250. Here is rack of my last one, broken tines and all.

View attachment 499683
That is a sweet mount.
In CA we can't hunt "ANYTHING" unless we are shooting Lead Free which drives me nuts because I'm the type that likes to have more ammo than I'll ever shoot in a lifetime. So when the Lead free crap law went into effect it really screwed up my stockpile. But it's there if I ever need it.:emoji_stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::emoji_wink:

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky