Dirty racks

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Domie

Fire Starter
Original poster
Feb 26, 2021
I'm new around here so I may have missed a conversation that covers this but......
I use my smoker for multiple things, When I go to smoke cheese, I've constantly got dirty racks. My cheese then has the possibility of cross contamination.
Has anyone seen any type, or made any type, of disposable rack covers, that lets the smoke through?

He beat me to it, but also just use baking racks... can load them in house and carry to smoker

20210306_131639.jpg

Ryan

I'm new around here so I may have missed a conversation that covers this but......
I use my smoker for multiple things, When I go to smoke cheese, I've constantly got dirty racks. My cheese then has the possibility of cross contamination.
Has anyone seen any type, or made any type, of disposable rack covers, that lets the smoke through?
You can get them racks cleaner using your dish washer IMHO
Richie

Reactions: JLeonard
Site sponsor has the answer
Ive had silicone mats a long time ... use for more fragile cooks (like fish or veggies), but you still get some crud on the underlying grates (albeit less). Tried for other cooks like chicken, and just gave me more to wash.
You can get them racks cleaner using your dish washer IMHO
Richie
My old smokers racks were too small to fit a full rib rack, so got a new larger one, and these racks are too big for dishwasher :emoji_disappointed:

I have some big plastic tubs now I can just soak the grates in for a while with Dawn, and scrub up pretty well/easily.

Reactions: Fueling Around

From most Dollar Tree stores probably carried in other stores.
View attachment 410306
It smells but their is nothing harmful in it.I use vinegar to get rid of the smell
Richie

I use the solid silicone grill mats now and then.
Don't let smoke through so have to flip. Nice thing is they do block heat somewhat so it keeps the cold smoke ... cooler

Dollar Store Oyyclean in hot water is probably the best cleaner you'll ever use. We buy a dozen at a time. For racks, after smoking fill your utility sink with 1-2" of hot water and a scoop of Oxy. Add racks and walk away. Hit with a brush if real dirty. That said, I use the Qmatz for cheese but admit they are not really necessary but I like the pattern they leave on the cheese.

Yes the mats allow smoke to penetrate the cheese. I use a variety of racks & mats depending on what I’m smoking. If I‘m putting meat right on the smoker rack I always sterilize it with a weed burner. You just have to be careful you don’t warp the rack.
Al

Yes the mats allow smoke to penetrate the cheese. I use a variety of racks & mats depending on what I’m smoking. If I‘m putting meat right on the smoker rack I always sterilize it with a weed burner. You just have to be careful you don’t warp the rack.
Al
Hi Al
When you say weed burner, do you mean like a large propane torch ??

Thanks
David

Hi Al

Thanks
David

Yes, I use it to start the fire in my Lang & also sterilize the grates. This isn’t the one I have, I bought mine at HD for about half this price, but I wanted to show you a pic of what they looked like..

Al

Last edited:
Reactions: DRKsmoking
Yes, I use it to start the fire in my Lang & also sterilize the grates. This isn’t the one I have, I bought mine at HD for about half this price, but I wanted to show you a pic of what they looked like..
Thanks Al , thats what i thought you meant. I know them as tiger torches . Used for torch down roofing around here
That will clean off the grills/racks of all the little bits :)

Thanks
David

Hi Al

Thanks
David

Al

And you can use a weed burner to roast chilies, the flesh barely gets warm and after steaming in a sack they are easy to peel.

Reactions: DRKsmoking
And you can use a weed burner to roast chilies, the flesh barely gets warm and after steaming in a sack they are easy to peel.

Cool another good use for the weed burner!
And it sure seers a piece of meat that was SV’d too!
Al

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky