Dino Bones Question

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

downstatesmoker

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Apr 14, 2008
Rockville Centre, NY
I've never made beef ribs before. I've been reading through some of the threads and it seems as if it is a similar situation to doing spares.

Are there any tricks I should watch out for?

Are there different types of beef ribs (like there are pig ribs, spares, baby backs, etc.)? If so which should I be looking at for a first smoke?

Thank you in advanced for the assistance. Will, of course, post Qview when I smoke these up.

Beef ribs are easy to smoke just put on your rub and smoke them. I don't know of any other kind of beef ribs unless your talking about like short ribs you can find 2 types of them. The kind that have the ribs cut with a band saw and the bone is as thick as the meat. The others have a bone that is flatter and longer then the meat and the meat is usually thickier then the bone. I smoke then at 230 and take them to about 145 or so.

I prefer using Beef Shortribs. There is more meat. I did them 2 weeks ago and used Jeff's Rub. Make sure that you get as much of the tough membrane off of the back side before putting on the rub. Let set overnight in the fridge. Use a 2-2-1 method and you will have beef ribs to die for.

I just smoked a few slabs of beef ribs the other day.
As said, make sure to get that membrane off.
Use either olive oil or mustard as a binder and apply your rub.
If you have time let them sit overnight, if not no biggie. I have made plenty of ribs just by rubbing and right into the smoker.

Dino's are the ribs off the Rib Roast or "Prime Rib". Lots of fat. Remove the rib membrane and cut off as much of the excess fat that you can. Dont worry, plenty of fat is ther. Put your favorite rub on and smoke. No need to foil ( the excess fat will keep them moist). I do Dinos alot.
These were just put in the Kettle

Hour and a half later

Approx 4 hrs later and off the Kettle and "resting"

Sliced and ready to consume!

I do mine just like I do the pork ribs.

When buying them my only criteria has been to make sure there is lots of meat on them.

When I bought my first beef ribs for my first dino smoke, I never checked them very well in the store, they had almost no meat on them. They were mondo dissapointing. Now I just make sure they are beefy as possible.

I got some buffalo ribs that were almost as big as the ones on the Flintstones. over a foot long. Man were those ever nice.

So, I've only had my smoker for 3 weeks so I can't add much input. That being said, I've been making dino bones in the oven for quite some time.

What I can say is that I really like putting them on the grill after cooking them. I slather them in our favorite BBQ sauce and cook them on a hot grill (500 degrees) with the fat side down for about 5-6 minutes and meat side down for about 3-4 minutes. It carmalizes the BBQ sauce and they just rock. It also helps to liquify the fat and the flavor is just fantastic.

Beef ribs are the reason I got a smoker. I got them nailed in the oven but couldn't quite match our local favorite BBQ smokehouse so got a smoker. Now I can make them as good as the local favorite BBQ smokehouse. My first batch was as good and I'm sure I'm only going to get better.

I would say get at least 1/2 inch pullback to get them nice and tender but not too tender to where you can't put them on the grill (I've got them too tender and you can't turn them on the grill because they fall apart).

Cook some dino bones and get hooked!!! :) And post QView :)

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky