Dilute Sauce When Mopping?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Count Porcula

Meat Mopper
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Sep 25, 2020
Today I decided to try 3-2-1 spare ribs for the first time. I did not go through with it. When I took the ribs out after three hours in the smoker, it was obvious they would be extremely overcooked after three more hours. There were small bits that were actually done after three hours. I had to set them aside. I ended up with something more like 3-.75-.75, and all went pretty well. Next time, I'm thinking 2-1.5-1.

I have to wonder if the person who came up with 3-2-1 knows how to cook, to be honest. I like tender ribs, but I think I would have ended up with dry ribs that were almost mush.

Anyway, I decided to try mopping the ribs as well as apply the usual rub. I don't know if what I did was real mopping. I just mean I put sauce on the ribs before the final spell in the smoker.

I thought the ribs were excellent. I didn't put any more of the sauce on them while I was eating, because I didn't want it. I did apply a lot of a thin vinegar sauce I made up a while ago.

Question: do people generally dilute sauce when mopping? I mean sauce with the same basic consistency as the stuff you get in grocery stores, like Sweet Baby Ray's or Stubb's. It seemed like the sauce I applied was a little too heavy after the smoker sucked the water out of it.

Mopping and saucing are two entirely different things to me. Mopping is a thinner liquid to keep the surface of the protein moist. Saucing is a thicker liquid applied at the end of the cook. SBRs is a sauce that is applied during the last 1/2 hr of the cook. Just enough time so it sets.

Chris

Amen on 3-2-1
That gospel should be stricken from the interwebs..... We don't cook any other meat 100% based on time, why would spares be different?

Mop liquid or spritz liquid is just a bit of vinegar or juice. If ya mop it on you can add pepper flakes and whatnot.

This may help!
Al

Reactions: 912smoker
I don't like the 3-2-1 rib model but let's lay it out. The 3-2-1 ribs method is for full spare ribs cooked at 225°F. Any other style of rib or any higher temp and it won't come close to working.

3-2-1 ribs is now a catchphrase that folks use. That's why you see folks say they cooked some baby backs 3-2-1 and then wonder why they wound up with bones and meat mush.

I prefer to check for doneness using the bend test where you pick up the rack of ribs with tongs and watch for them to start cracking in the middle. If you don't like that notion then probe for tenderness like you would a brisket or pork butt.

I feel sorry for people who would use the method without skepticism. If I hadn't checked the meat and made changes, it would have been pretty bad.

It amazes me how food websites will publish garbage and act like it's gold. What a dishonest industry.

Reactions: chopsaw
It amazes me how food websites will publish garbage and act like it's gold. What a dishonest industry.
Yup . All about money .

My Son does really good in the kitchen . He shines with sauces and flavor profiles . However , I can't get him to stop following internet recipes to the letter .
I keep telling him to use it as an idea and apply what he knows .
Yesterday I asked him to make potato salad for supper . Told him make it how you like it not how someone else likes it .
No internet , no cook books .
Was something like mayo , sour cream , powdered ranch . Bacon , green onion , red onion . Saw him dash some Frank's in it .
It was really good .

BTW , I tend to thin my BBQ sauce . I like red wine vinegar and brown sugar in some SBR .

Reactions: Count Porcula
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky