DigiQ temp yoyo

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

apike77

Original poster
Jul 12, 2020
So I finally got the Dyna Q for my Pit Barrel Cooker and installed it. During a test run I was never able to get the temp to stabilize, it kept swinging up to 25 degrees over and 20 degrees below the target temp. Any tips to get that temp locked in?

Never used either but am curious what responses you get from those that have. Seems like a decent swing to me too.

Reactions: apike77
I don’t use this with my PBC- I tend to let the PBC settle where it wants and go from there. I don’t even put a probe to monitor the pit temp anymore.

But I do use it sometimes for my WSM. I have some swings too, but I think it has to do with how open the fan outlet is and what’s going on outside of the cooker. My WSM is in the direct sun in the afternoon nowadays and that alone raises the temps. I also notice that if I open the lid and the temp drops the fan kicks back on and it’s too much oxygen then. But I’m not super experienced with this device yet so hopefully someone else can help too!

But I’m with smokin peachy- I wouldn’t worry too much about the swing.

Reactions: apike77
I haven't used it on a PBC but on my WSM it comes in handy if you are going to be away on an errand or I use it when in need on a constant temp for a critical cook....but to be honest I pretty much let the pit do the work and mostly hand temp it until meat is done. After doing multiple cooks you pretty much have an idea how your pit behaves and how long it takes for everything to done. As for temp swings it all pretty much evens out in the long run.

When you start your fire use just a few lit briquettes, and turn On the Guru. Let it bring the temp up. Over time the Guru will learn your Smoker. Also choke down the damper on the fan. I have mine open about 1/4, on my WSM 22. The guru will overshoot the set temp at first, but will settle in after a couple of hours.
Al

I have the DigiQ on my PBC and my stick burner. Al is correct, cut your air flow to about 75% for the PBC. Also, opening the lid on the PBC moves a lot of air quickly, keep the lid on as much as possible.
I would also make sure the adapter is sealed tight to the PBC. You can use some high temp RTV to seal up the adapter.

Good luck.

- Jason

cant' speak to the higher models but my party q typically does similar where suddenly its 10-15 over where i wanted. This doesn't bother me as I actually start off with setting the temp about 10-15 below where i want it. about halfway through the cook ill have to finally bump the party q temp to the temp i want it at but otherwise its worked well. may upgrade to a dynaq at some point but my real issue is i wanted a battery powered unit.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky