Difference between pictures & Q-View?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

superdave

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Aug 13, 2007
Sacramento, CA
What's the difference between posting pictures in our threads and Q-View? I lean toward posting nice viewable sized pictures but I see a lot of members have adopted Q-View. Please splain it to me.

Thanks

Q-view is just a slang term for posting pics. So in short, posting pictures in your threads is Q-view, how you do it doesn't matter. Some folks use photobucket or imageshack while others just use the built in image uploader from the site.

Actually Q-view has the smell attached as a sub file in the event your PC is equipped to deal with it.
PDT_Armataz_01_18.gif

Just remember to keep you Q-View images a respectable size. No more than 800 x 600 pixels or we have to end up scrolling right to see the whole photo or read all the text. Post em up!!

OK, I'm hungry now
PDT_Armataz_01_28.gif

My definition is any meat/food that is being prepped/smoked/grilled/cooked is Q View. Pics are of your smoker, grill, yard, mods. It really is all the same... and good.

So are the little pictures at the bottom of folks posts just uploaded with the sites photo posting versus imageshack? What threw me was people listing threads "w/Q-View" and the little square pictures at the bottom of their post.

I think you may be talking about the signature area?

The pics in that post were uploaded with the sites image uploader which only lets you do thumbnails that you can enlarge by clicking on. Photobucket and Imageshack are the ones you use to get the whole pic in the thread. Just remember to be careful of the size as Flash mentioned so people don't have to scroll just to see the whole pic.

Edit: Flash that is the best looking brisket I have ever seen! I just wish I could have tasted it.

SuperDave, the pic's at the bottom of the post are called thumbnail shots. When clicked on, they open to full size in a seperate window. This was the perfered method of posting q-view and pics as they took up less bandwidth to host here at SMF. The difference in bandwidth is huge; a larger pic can take uptp 100,000 bytes or more to display while a thumbnail shot takes around 2,000 bytes. Both photobucket and imageshack will allow you to post thumbnails.

Hey Dutch,

First of all, it's good to pass the word that thumbnails are the preferred method of q-view. I have posted several pics and never thought of band width, though I do keep the size to the recommended 600 x 800. However, I too prefer to open a post with thumbs as opposed to big giant pics. It's just that I use photobucket and can't for the life of me find a way to do thumbs there. I know there is a great sticky about how to post pics in photobucket. Is there anything on using thumbs either with this site or something else?

Thanks,

Smoke_Chef

Flash:
Not only are you a hell of a photographer, you must have one hell of a good camera, your Qview shots are in high definition! I can almost taste that London Broil!
Jimbo

Thanks foe the reasoning behind thumbnail pics, same reason I don't use photobucket or the likes thereof. I know we need all the bandwidth available. Big pics do look nice, but...

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky