Diet Cola Sloppy Joes

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

BrianGSDTexoma

Smoking Guru
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Aug 1, 2018
North Texas, Texoma
Made some low carb sloppy joe's. Finally getting cool enough to use the outside flat top though it is nice having everything handy with the inside one. I like using flat top for browning hamburger. It does not steam like in a pan though I messed up and let the blood from bag out so did not brown as good as usual. This the last bag of my first attempt at ground brisket. Was not happy with it as it was to lean. To make it a little less carb I used arrowroot instead of flour. Not sure yet about that arrowroot. Guess it does get the job done. Corn and bread not low carb but what the heck , its the weekend.

20211009_150147.jpg 20211009_152122.jpg 20211009_153034.jpg

20211009_153524.jpg 20211009_161338.jpg 20211009_170744.jpg

Last edited:
Brian I know we can't taste it but man oh man, that looks REALLY good buddy!! I'd never turn down a couple of those Sloppy Joe's, that's for sure.

Robert

Reactions: BrianGSDTexoma
Looks great! Got a link to the recipe? The soda pop in the title looks intriguing.
I've heard of using Dr Pepper, though I haven't seen a recipe for that one either.

This is the basic recipe I have used for years from sparkpeople recipes. . Good just the way it is but I add whatever to it. I usually cook a hour or so ahead of time and it thickens as it sits.

1 lb. 93% extra lean ground beef
1 medium onion, finely chopped
1-1/2 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
1 cup diet cola
2/3 cup ketchup
1 Tbsp. vinegar
1 Tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
2 tsp. dry mustard
3 Tbsp. Splenda Brown Sugar.

Reactions: jcam222 and bill1
Thanks Brian! So is the diet Coke and Splenda brown sugar just to keep sugar and calories down, or is there a flavor preference there?

Looks great Brian! Man it’s been along long time since I’ve had sloppy Joe’s. Going to have to change that’s now. I’m going to give arrowroot a go instead of xanthan next time I need to thicken something. Used xanthan in my cooking today.

Looks great Brian! Man it’s been along long time since I’ve had sloppy Joe’s. Going to have to change that’s now. I’m going to give arrowroot a go instead of xanthan next time I need to thicken something. Used xanthan in my cooking today.
I use to use xanthan but seems to have a slimmy texture to me. Watch how much arrowroot use. Easy to over do it.

That is a mighty nice sloppy Joe Brian! I tried a few different recipes to get the right sloppy Joe. But have not been quite able to perfect it. I prefer the Manwich bold style. Might give this a try. Sans arrowroot.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky