Did I mess up?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

AHW

Original poster
Mar 18, 2020
I smoked a few different types of cheese last Saturday. I did it for about 3 hours and then I immediately vacuum sealed and put it in the fridge. Did I mess up by not letting it sit first? How long should I have let it sit? Will it ruin the cheese by vacuum sealing it right away or should I be fine?

Thank you

I usually let it sit on the counter for a few hours to get to room temp. Then sit overnight in the fridge loosely wrapped. Then vac pack. Did you ruin it? No, though if it was sweating when you packed it. I would open them up. Wipe to remove any moisture. Then reseal.

You want to avoid condensation forming in the vacuum bag. I let mine rest at room temperature for 4 hours or so to make sure it's dry, then I chill it on a rack for a few more hours before vacuum sealing. The bricks I'm going to be eating I just store in a zipper bag and the rest get vac sealed.

Ruined no, you'll probably have to pat them dry when you open them up.

Chris

You can always send me a couple blocks and I'll do a taste test for you. :emoji_blush:

But seriously, I let mine sit in the fridge unwrapped for 8+ hours to overnite and then vacuum seal them.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky