Dialing In The Rec Tec RT 700 With Some NY Strips (W / Pics)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

tx smoker

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Apr 14, 2013
Lago Vista, Texas
Last weekend was quite a learning experience with the new RT 700, both from a cooking and informational perspective. I've been playing with temp probes in different locations throughout the grill and am getting it figured out....I hope. Decided to do some NY Strips last night along with some grilled tater slices and a salad.

Here are the steaks
006.jpg

Seasoned with the new rub I put together last week. I'm really liking this stuff!! It has a fantastic flavor.
007.jpg

Thick sliced taters brushed with EVOO then sprinkled with SPOG and guajillo pepper
005.jpg

Taters are gonna take the longest so they go on the grill first. Grill set at 235 to get a bit of smoke on them and start cooking before running the temp up
008.jpg

Steaks onto the grill, grill set at 450
012.jpg

Had quite a squall blow through. It's pouring down rain!!
010.jpg

Basic salad with Romaine lettuce, grape tomatoes, green onions, cucumbers, and shaved Belafoglia Parmesan cheese
009.jpg

Taters done. I put sliced cheddar on a couple for me
014.jpg

My steak all done. Tracy has already grabbed hers. I got some of the grill marks and now know how to get it right....I think. Gotta get the grill up to high temp before putting the steaks on, not when you start the raise in temp from 235 to 450
013.jpg

Dinner plated
015.jpg

Dinner was not quite what I had hoped for but the learning experience doing small cuts of meat was invaluable. Steaks should have come off 2 to 3 minutes earlier. They were a nice pink when I took them off but cooked themselves more to medium from residual heat. Flavor was still outstanding though. I know that I read somewhere that the way the RT 700 cooks is convection style of heating and I didn't take that into account so the steaks cooked faster than anticipated. If you look though you can see that there is a little smoke ring that developed. That was a nice surprise!! The addition of the guajillo pepper to the taters was a mistake. I used that particular pepper due to a milder flavor but it still overpowered the everything else. From now on it's just EVOO and SPOG. Overall I'm very happy with the grill and am starting to get it dialed in. Large cuts will be easier to work with but I need to get it down cooking smaller stuff. When I do though, it's gonna be a blast. Next time I am expecting perfection.

I'm getting there,
Robert

Looks good, throw the straks on there when your lownslow , then take them off after 15-20 minutes raise temp way up to sear and finish, better smoke flavor on them when temps are low, enjoy experimenting its all good eats

Last weekend was quite a learning experience with the new RT 700, both from a cooking and informational perspective. I've been playing with temp probes in different locations throughout the grill and am getting it figured out....I hope. Decided to do some NY Strips last night along with some grilled tater slices and a salad.

Here are the steaks
View attachment 408571

Seasoned with the new rub I put together last week. I'm really liking this stuff!! It has a fantastic flavor.
View attachment 408572

Thick sliced taters brushed with EVOO then sprinkled with SPOG and guajillo pepper
View attachment 408573

Taters are gonna take the longest so they go on the grill first. Grill set at 235 to get a bit of smoke on them and start cooking before running the temp up
View attachment 408574

Steaks onto the grill, grill set at 450
View attachment 408575

Had quite a squall blow through. It's pouring down rain!!
View attachment 408577

Basic salad with Romaine lettuce, grape tomatoes, green onions, cucumbers, and shaved Belafoglia Parmesan cheese
View attachment 408578

Taters done. I put sliced cheddar on a couple for me
View attachment 408580

My steak all done. Tracy has already grabbed hers. I got some of the grill marks and now know how to get it right....I think. Gotta get the grill up to high temp before putting the steaks on, not when you start the raise in temp from 235 to 450
View attachment 408581

Dinner plated
View attachment 408582

Dinner was not quite what I had hoped for but the learning experience doing small cuts of meat was invaluable. Steaks should have come off 2 to 3 minutes earlier. They were a nice pink when I took them off but cooked themselves more to medium from residual heat. Flavor was still outstanding though. I know that I read somewhere that the way the RT 700 cooks is convection style of heating and I didn't take that into account so the steaks cooked faster than anticipated. If you look though you can see that there is a little smoke ring that developed. That was a nice surprise!! The addition of the guajillo pepper to the taters was a mistake. I used that particular pepper due to a milder flavor but it still overpowered the everything else. From now on it's just EVOO and SPOG. Overall I'm very happy with the grill and am starting to get it dialed in. Large cuts will be easier to work with but I need to get it down cooking smaller stuff. When I do though, it's gonna be a blast. Next time I am expecting perfection.

I'm getting there,
Robert
Enjoy the Rec Tec. Worth every penny and then some.

Steaks a little too done for my liking as well but trial and error is always part of the fun. Haven't tried potatoes like that before will have to give it a go!

Steaks a little too done for my liking as well but trial and error is always part of the fun.

I agree on all counts. It just pains me to torch a really good steak :emoji_anguished: As Mike said above, next time I plan on smoking them low for 30 minutes or so then take them off the grill till it gets up to searing temp them put them back on. I should get the best of all worlds doing it that way.

Haven't tried potatoes like that before will have to give it a go!

I started doing this about a year ago and we both absolutely love it!! It's sort of a combination between a French fry and a baked potato. You can also add a bunch of different things. I've topped them with cheese, bacon crumbles, green onions, and probably a few other things.

Give it a go John!!
Robert

Reactions: SmokinVOLfan
Even the not-so-good learning experiences can still turn out quite tasty. Looks like the case here to me. Nice pellet smoker!

Nice cook Robert.
Once you get it dialed in, it'll be a joy to cook
Regardless of overshooting the steaks' IT, they still look good.
As do the potatoes, I'm gonna try them that way.
Suggestion for the chile powder, don't cut it out, knock it back 1/2-2/3.
You could also add the chile to butter or lime juice, and brush it on for another layer of flavor.

Looks delicious Robert! Best part is eating your results. I’d still eat that steak with the higher IT. Pass me a plate please.

Also wanted to let you know, I seasoned up some steak with your beef rub while home on my lunch break. Will grill them tonight!

Hijack Alert!!!

A3E10C6E-16A4-47B2-96B0-88A8C06DF778.jpeg

Also wanted to let you know, I seasoned up some steak with your beef rub while home on my lunch break. Will grill them tonight!

Hijack Alert!!!

I'm really interested in hearing your thoughts. I just put the spice mix together on a whim, tasting and adjusting as I went. I found it to be really good with a rich, deep beef flavor.

Appreciate the alert but we've covered this a few (hundred) times :emoji_laughing: I love it when somebody hijacks one of my threads. That just means more to share with other folks and move involvement from the forum. Feel free to hijack at will!!

Which one is Will??
Robert

I'm really interested in hearing your thoughts. I just put the spice mix together on a whim, tasting and adjusting as I went. I found it to be really good with a rich, deep beef flavor.

Appreciate the alert but we've covered this a few (hundred) times :emoji_laughing: I love it when somebody hijacks one of my threads. That just means more to share with other folks and move involvement from the forum. Feel free to hijack at will!!

Which one is Will??
Robert

I made it as you posted it but I am curious to how it will be omitting the salt since bouillon and Montreal steak seasoning are salty by themselves.

It will be fine. You won't even miss it. Mostly the flavor profile is about beef enhancement as opposed to what all the celebrity chefs on TV say: it needs more salt. Phooey on them!!

Robert

Robert, the beef rub is some good sh*t. Tasting it by itself it is salty and tasting it by putting my finger on the steak while it’s cooking it tastes spicy....but tasting it on the cooked and finished product, I taste neither but big beefy flavor.

Everything kinda mellows out (if that makes sense?) and nothing overpowers the other. I think I’ll go a little heavier next time. Good stuff!!
505BF15B-2B4A-4AE4-B11D-73E57DCBDB31.jpeg

AE09C900-2D10-4F8F-B9ED-2E200652982E.jpeg

CECFF232-F15F-4D5E-95FC-61C48A7D215A.jpeg

Did I miss the recipe for your new Beef Rub?

No sir. It has not been posted, just mentioned a couple times. I'll post it later when I get back to the house. I'm currently sitting in front of a house in South Austin with an hour and a half wait before the client will be ready. It sucks but I either sit here or sit in traffic with the idiots :-)

Robert

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky