Diabetes and smoking

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Diabetes is not a curse, it’s more of an obstacle. Once you figure out away around all the unnecessary carbs life will be much easier. I don’t shy away from fat either. Fat will not raise your blood sugar.

I plan to substitute rice with cauliflower to make a low carb boudin using Indaswamp's recipe.

I plan to substitute rice with cauliflower to make a low carb boudin using Indaswamp's recipe.
They might call shredded cauli cauliflower rice but is nothing like rice.
I don't have any experience with cauliflower in sausage but i make an organ sausage that calls for some rice. If i replaced it with cauliflower i am sure it would be very different. Shredded cauliflower is not as firm as the rice. If you cook the water out of it you won't feel much in the sausage. Also lacks the "bite" rice has.

I love cauliflower and eat all the time. But in my 2c opinion wouldn't work in boudin.

How about using less rice?

Indaswamp's gave a link to boudinlink.com in his thread. At that site there was a cauliflower boudin in Ville Platte that was given an "A" rating. Im going to make a small batch replacing the rice 100% with cauliflower rice. I'm sure it will be different, I'm just hoping it will be in a good way. At least I'll have a starting place to modify the recipe down the road.

Reactions: atomicsmoke
Indaswamp's gave a link to boudinlink.com in his thread. At that site there was a cauliflower boudin in Ville Platte that was given an "A" rating. Im going to make a small batch replacing the rice 100% with cauliflower rice. I'm sure it will be different, I'm just hoping it will be in a good way. At least I'll have a starting place to modify the recipe down the road.
Good luck. Let us know the results.

Have you tried substitutes to buns for pulled pork or brisket sandwiches? Just looking for options, it hasn't slowed my smoking down!
In Texas, something we see on occasion is to wrap a sausage with a tortilla. You can get low-carb tortillas. I don't know if a tortilla is necessarily better than a slice of bread, but I offer it as an option.

Check out Wurstfest:
https://wurstfest.com/
You'll see innovations in every way. A fun thing is the sausage on a stick with a biscuit or a roll on the same stick, below the sausage, to catch the drippings from the sausage so you don't get greasy fingers - then you get to eat the biscuit if you're willing to be a bad boy. I've seen tortillas wrapped around the sausage, but I can imagine folded and skewered on the stick might work as well.

BTW, my favorite tortillas are the white corn, though I don't believe I've met a tortilla I didn't like.

Reactions: kawboy
Wheat flour naan bread?
I think that's what he gets. Ms Locomotive is an Atkins gal and a flight attendant, and on trips to Mumbai, would have the naan bread because it was good - but in reasonable quantities, not going to derail her from her diet. They (folks in India) cook with a lot of turmeric and cumin in addition to curry. Turmeric is so good for ya as well, I wonder if you can work it into your rub?

Keywords "reasonable quantities".

Half of the wieght in wheat flour naan bread is carbs.

A small pie might do nothing but a reasonable amount (sufficient for a meal) would spike blood glucose.

Reactions: Locomotive Breath
Y'know... I've had GREAT luck using quinoa as a rice substitute. Rinse it in a strainer, boil it just like the instructions say (in chicken broth, if you prefer), and you can do anything with it. I even added milk and sugar and made a sweet dessert. My favorite was when I put in chunky Picante sauce, and it became JUST LIKE Mexican rice, but the carbs were practically nothing. Everyone I've served it to was bowled over... they thought they were eating Mexican rice till I told them, and they were really impressed by the nutritional numbers.

I'm still gathering ingredients for the low carb boudin. Getting close.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky