Destroyed three pieces of meat

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

noshuz

Original poster
Jul 7, 2016
Hey folks. First cook with my new Highland yesterday. Everything seemed to go well temp wise. New set of thermometers (tested). Baffle plate installed. Had about 20 difference from side to side still. My general plan was.

Tri Tip - 225 - 240 degrees approx 2 hours. internal temp 135 degrees

Ribs - 225 - 240 degrees approx 6 hours. internal temp 180 degrees

Turkey Breast - 240 degrees approx 4 hours. internal temp 165 degrees

I don't have a digital probe type thermometer yet and it probably would have save my butt (and my meat) if I did. Everything was over cooked and rubbery. Average temp was 225-250 (left side) 260-280 (right side) so i thought from what I read that grate temp would be about right. 

WOW! What a total fail! I've done a lot of quein' in my life and done some not so good cooks before but this was off the charts BAD!

unsure.gif

yep, the Maverick 733 was the best investment I made smoker wise, can't smoke without it.  If you get one just drill a small 5/16 hole just below and behind the smoke stack towards the back of the smoke chamber, and just above grate level, both probe lines will fit if you put them thru separately and then hang the sending unit on the rake.  Hole so small you'll not loose any smoke or heat.  I usually keep one probe for CC temp and one for the meat, but you can use both for meat. I have never had a bad cook on my Highland, so a bit surprised you had such bad results, however six hours for ribs seems a bit long, I do BB ribs in 4 hours or so, but I wrap mine, probably take 5 or more if I didn't wrap.  One thing I noticed about the Highland is it works so much better if I burn wood only.  I use half a chimney of briquettes just to get the wood burning a make a good coal bed, I usually fire up at least an hour before I put any meat on, and I tend to keep it several inch's from the firebox/CC wall and my temps stay much more even, I have a deflector plates as well, it is a must have for the Highlander.  Any ways good luck with future smokes, I think once you get a Maverick you'll be much happier and put out some really good Q.

Thanks for the input and encouragement! It's not a total loss. I'm going to throw everything covered in the oven with a half a beer (I'll drink the rest 
biggrin.gif
) to bring It back to life. The flavor is there, texture, not so much. All the veggies (potatoes and peppers) turned out awesome so I can't be too disappointed. All and all, I'm really happy with the fire management side of things. I was surprised how easy it was to maintain steady temps. I thought I was going to have to babysit this thing the whole time. 

Time to get a Maverick! 

OK redemption day. 2 hours in a roasting pot with a lid and everything is edible again. Ribs falling off the bone and Tri tip and Turkey breast ok. Maverick on the way! I got guy points back! 
nana2.gif

It least you salvaged the meat. I use. Mav 732 for smoker and meat temp then a lavatools for a instant read.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky