Desert Rat

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

PapaRed

Fire Starter
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Dec 16, 2021
Glendale, AZ
Hello from Arizona. Old timer, USAF retired, aerospace manufacturing retired. Using Weber Performer, kettle, and WSM for about 6 years, and still learning.
The most difficult (and frustrating) thing for me is chasing temperature on the WSM - especially when smoking sausage, not so much with butts or briskets. I need to start at 135 degrees F, and gradually increase to 140, 150, and 160 degrees F. Have used a snake, modified snake, combinations of vent settings etc, but no success. Today, I ordered BBQ Guru's DynaQ Bluetooth Temp Control Unit. Hopefully that will resolve the temp issues.

Welcome from Colorado. I don’t run a WSM but lots of folks here do or have and will hopefully chime in. Sausage is tough to do right without a dedicated smoker. My avatar is a pic of my smokehouse. Makes low temp smoking very manageable. Temp ramp up and hold temp is simple weather I have 5# or 100# it runs smooth.

Reactions: indaswamp
Howdy and welcome to SMF from SE Arizona.

Using a WSM for smoking sausage maybe a tall order so, I have couple of questions...
What type of charcoal are you using, lump or briquette?
If you're using briquettes, how many are you starting off with?
Also, have you tried using a pizza stone as a makeshift heat deflector?

Give the BBQ Guru a try. If it doesn't maintain the low temps for sausages at least you'll have it for smoking butts and briskets.

I use charcoal briquettes - mainly Kingsford, but did use some Weber when they went on sale. Didn't detect any difference. I started using a clay flower pot saucer on the water bowl as a heat sink, but since my casings were tough, I surmised that it was due to the lack of moisture, and removed it, using water in the water pan for the last 2 cooks. (Didn't help the tough casings, but that's one more issue I'm experiencing.)
As for charcoal placement, I have tried the minion method, a snake configured with the bottom row of 2 briquettes and a single row on top, and just filling the chamber. Did not experience any temperature control improvement. A typical "burn" seems to be I can control the 130 degree fire, allow to increase to 140, then 150, but the 160 degree setting will hold for a while and then suddenly increase 25 degrees. When I close it down and then allow it to increase to the desired temp, then the temp chasing begins. I have ruined sausage (fat out) because of the temp runaway.
Am hoping the temp controller will control the temperatures.
What I need is a human guru to teach me! <G>

Welcome from Iowa! Can't help with your wsm issues but maybe someone can.

Ryan

Hopefully, the DynaQ will give you the temp control you're after.
If doesn't, then you might want to consider an electric smoker for sausage.
Many SMF members use electric smokers exclusively for sausage since an electric smoker allows for better temp control than using a charcoal or wood smoker.
Or, they build a smokehouse like SmokinEdge SmokinEdge and indaswamp indaswamp .

P.S. Are you using a separate digital thermometer to verify temps or are you going by the dome thermometer?

Welcome from San Antonio Texas!
texas_zpswacwwmhm.gif

I don't have a WSM but I've own two similar design bullet style smokers (BBQ Pro & Fornetto Basso). However I've never tried making my own sausage so I can't help you WRT your desired temperature ramp / soak process but like you I bet the control system you've ordered will have that functionality.

Welcome, electric smokers are the easiest way I have found to do sausages , it's tough with charcoal and wood

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky