Deli Meat slicer Question

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

FoxmanNC

Fire Starter
Original poster
Dec 10, 2020
Hey all, I wasn't sure where the best place to post this was, so apologies if this is not the right spot.

I am wanting a deli meat slicer, but have no idea what to look for. Just kicking the tires on Amazon I saw the 10" slicers were $200-400, which is honestly more than I'd care to spend. The 7.5" slicers are in the $100 range. Since I have no idea what I am looking for, I thought I'd ask.

The goals are to be in the $100 ballpark. To be able to move it from the counter into storage easily. Primarily it will be used to slice an eye of round and probably bacon strips. The bacon strips are what have me questioning the 7.5" because the ones I saw only have around 6.5" of clearance between the pusher and the blade and the bacon is wider than that. So.... that's my story.

Reactions: JLeonard
Very few, if any, home slicers are able to do full sized bacon, unless you fold it over.
I found mine on Craigslist. It was a 10" commercial slicer, but still isn't the right size for flat bacon.

Reactions: FoxmanNC
I use a cheaper one in the $80 to $100 range for basically the same reasons you've mentioned.
I don't use it that often and don't want the expense because of that.
It works fine for everything except long bacon.
I guess it comes down to how important long strips of bacon are to you.

I use a cheaper one in the $80 to $100 range for basically the same reasons you've mentioned.
I don't use it that often and don't want the expense because of that.
It works fine for everything except long bacon.
I guess it comes down to how important long strips of bacon are to you.
It's beginning to sound like I will just need to cut the bacon in half and just not overthink this.

Im in the same boat as you FoxmanNC FoxmanNC Looking at the $100 dollar range slicers. I'm not going to be running a deli outta my kitchen so thinking it will work for me also.

Jim

I use a cheap one and am able to just take one piece off and slice it with no issues.

Attachments

• 20190218_082213.jpg
    20190218_082213.jpg
    113.6 KB · Views: 46
when we by bacon we always just cut the package in half..and freeze.... which is much easier to cook or bake and is enough for 2.. and fits on toast with the egg perfect.. i hate cooking long bacon..

I cut the bellies to a size that will specifically fit in my slicer. I prefer the somewhat shorter pieces cause I can fit more in a 10" frying pan.
Some of the advantages of the home slicers are that they are inexpensive, are lightweight and much easier to clean than commercial units.
The disadvantages are that many of the leave a flap of meat on the edge, and they have no blade guard which can cause the meat to rotate during slicing.

I cut the bellies to a size that will specifically fit in my slicer. I prefer the somewhat shorter pieces cause I can fit more in a 10" frying pan.
Some of the advantages of the home slicers are that they are inexpensive, are lightweight and much easier to clean than commercial units.
The disadvantages are that many of the leave a flap of meat on the edge, and they have no blade guard which can cause the meat to rotate during slicing.
I rotate the meat after every slice or two to get rid of that flap and the rotation only seems an issue towards the end. I just deal with it.
I cut the bellies to fit in a 2 gallon brine bucket which turns out to be about right for the slicer.

Reactions: SmokinEdge
This has been an ongoing topic since I became a member years ago. In 2015 I found a Hobart 1612 slicer, built in the early 70's for 150$ on Houston Craigslist. Best money I ever spent. Worked flawlessly until it burned up in my house fire. Aluminum and 3000 degree fire just don't get along. Point is, there are still deals out there that will allow you to get more slicer for just a bit more money for these 100$ slicers that you have to adapt to. Save your money, watch Facebook Market Place and Craigslist then get one of the big name brands like Hobart, Berkel, Globe, etc. Built like a tank and will last forever.

I have the LEM Big Bite 10” slicer.
Most generally I cut my belly in half before slicing, just because it fits the pan better and I slice thick, so it doesn’t shrink all that much when frying. About the right size for sandwiches and pan frying. When I bacon wrap bbq items, I generally just buy Black Label thin slice bacon. Much easier and more practical.

Someone here, I forget who but have an idea, once downplayed the need for a monster slicer to slice full slabs. I believe he related the need to slice bacon to making BLTs or something and half slices fit the bread just fine. You will be in good company with a Chefs Choice. LEM has a belt driven model with 2 each 8 inch blades and there are other slicers available at the $300 and lower price point. Check WOOT frequently as it sells the CC slicers to just a tad over $100.

I’ve got a large chefs choice now but has the 615A for quite awhile. It would be a good choice. Every now and then Woot will have them for $69

I chose an Anescra because I liked the 200watts, the 2 blades, the reviews and it was within the budget. Thanks, everyone for the input.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-08-20 at 7.36.32 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-08-20 at 7.36.32 AM.png
    218.3 KB · Views: 29
Another Chefs Choice owner here, and no complaints! I have no issues cutting full length strips of bacon with it as it has a fairly long carriage stroke. I can cheat a little bit more by unlocking the slide travel switch. Looks like you already pulled the trigger on that Anescra though Foxman. Never heard of that brand but looks decent. Keep us posted how it turns out.

Oh, and just because it needs to be said... The best way to cook bacon is in the OVEN on a rimmed cookie sheet! You can fit lots of full length strips and no need to flip. Line with foil for even easier cleanup. 15 to 20 minutes at 400 on convect in my oven depending on how thick the bacon is or how crispy we want it.

Another Chefs Choice owner here, and no complaints! I have no issues cutting full length strips of bacon with it as it has a fairly long carriage stroke. I can cheat a little bit more by unlocking the slide travel switch. Looks like you already pulled the trigger on that Anescra though Foxman. Never heard of that brand but looks decent. Keep us posted how it turns out.

Oh, and just because it needs to be said... The best way to cook bacon is in the OVEN on a rimmed cookie sheet! You can fit lots of full length strips and no need to flip. Line with foil for even easier cleanup. 15 to 20 minutes at 400 on convect in my oven depending on how thick the bacon is or how crispy we want it.
I need to try that.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky