Dehydrated Fruits & Veggies in Sausage

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

lazymlazyk

Original poster
Jun 27, 2017
North Dakota
Awhile back, i dehydrated some blueberries and some jalapenos for long-term storage. I'd like to make a couple different types of sausage, one that contains blueberry and another that contains jalapeno and hi-temp cheddar. Can I use the dehydrated blueberries and jalapenos "as-is", or should I reconstitute them before adding to the sausage mix? I don't know if the dehydrated items would absorb enough moisture from the sausage mix, or maybe they'd absorb too much and make the sausage dry?

I don't know if the dehydrated items would absorb enough moisture from the sausage mix,
I've never tried it , but that would be my concern as well .
I think I would soak 'em . Just an opinion , not experience driven .
Put it this way , if they don't take up moisture won't they be chewy ?

My dehydrated stuff is really thin so I put in a grinder and chop it up until it looks like a spice. You will be pleasantly surprised at the results. Fruits will need to be applied heavier than you will assum.

I make ALOT of sausage at work (grocery). The seasoning come in per-mix packets per batch size. Peppers are dehydrated. There is a Blueberry breakfast sausage that contains dehydrated blue berries. Both hydrate very well without noticeable drying of the finished product.
Sorry no idea of the weight of the dehydrated product as they are part of the seasoning mix.

. The seasoning come in per-mix packets per batch size. Peppers are dehydrated. There is a Blueberry breakfast sausage that contains dehydrated blue berries.
Great info . I've actually had the Blueberry sausage . I never would have guessed that was dehydrated fruit .

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky