Deer Tenderloins (inside the rib cage) wrapped in bacon, with q-view

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

stjoeguy1122

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Feb 6, 2012
St Joseph, Missouri
While I was digging around for meat to make up some jerky I found a couple of tenderloins (inside the rib cage) that I had forgotten about.

I marinated and injected them with Balsamic Marinade, vacuumed bagged and refrigerated overnight.  Applied some of Jeff’s rub and wrapped in bacon, cranked up the Masterbuilt propane smoker to 200-225, smoked with apple chips until 160 IT, pulled and FTC for 30 minutes.  Talk about melt in your mouth!!!

not my best bacon wrap job but the tooth picks held everything together

they cooked up faster then I had planned, bacon didn't get as done as I wanted it to

melt in your mouth, so tender and juicy. not much of a smoke ring? maybe because of the bacon wrap???

Yum! We grilled ours this fall but smoking them is the plan for next year.

I used to grill everything now I pretty much smoke everything . .  gives me more time to drink a few beers with my guest 
icon_lol.gif

How big was the piece of meat? How long did it take to hit 160? My buddy brought a few over to me this fall and we did an "experimental" smoke. We liked the on wrapped in bacon over the one without bacon. Both pieces were roughly a 12" long with a 3" diameter at the thickest part.

How big was the piece of meat? How long did it take to hit 160? My buddy brought a few over to me this fall and we did an "experimental" smoke. We liked the on wrapped in bacon over the one without bacon. Both pieces were roughly a 12" long with a 3" diameter at the thickest part.
mine were about the same size, I'm thinking it was about 2.5 hours, maybe slightly less, I was making jerky at the same time in my electric smoker so I was watching them on time more then I was watching the tenderloins.  if you are wanting to plan on serving it for dinner I'd plan on 3 hours to be safe and do the FTC until the rest of dinner is ready. I have kept meat warm by doing that several times.

BTW I doubled wrapped the bacon on the smaller end, my thinking was to prevent that end from drying out or over cooking to quickly

My brother and I shot a muley a couple of years ago, when we got home we started drinking beer and fired up the UDS, carved out the TL's, prepped with some of Jeffs rub, smoked it for about 2 hours (it was still rare to med rare on the small end) OMG it was so good, no bacon needed IMO.

My brother and I shot a muley a couple of years ago, when we got home we started drinking beer and fired up the UDS, carved out the TL's, prepped with some of Jeffs rub, smoked it for about 2 hours (it was still rare to med rare on the small end) OMG it was so good, no bacon needed IMO.
one of these days I get the chance to go Muley hunting, one of these days 
icon_lol.gif

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky