Deer dogs

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

archeryrob

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Oct 26, 2015
Western Maryland
So, I found a recipe on here from Lhender and it just looked awesome. I copied it and made it the first time and water cooked out under the casings and washed the spices out. It had 1 cup water and 1 cup ice for 5 pounds and I thought it was too much, but what did I know about making hot dogs.

So I tried again and I dropped all the ice out and use just 1 cup of chilled water per 5 pounds. Below is my pork butt and fat to head the the freezer for 1 hour to get a coarse grind.

dogs-brats1-large.jpg

Then the deer meat was added on top and froze again for an hour and then was ground on the small 1/8″ plate.

dogs-brats2-large.jpg

Below is it coming out of the 1/8″ plate. this was half going to hotdogs and half to beer brats on the next post.

dogs-brats3-large.jpg

The hotdogs being stuffed and about the length they are tied to hang in the smokehouse. The black line is on them so you don’t eat them with the casing on. these are the Walton casings and they did get some smoke penitration, but I am heavy smoking in a wood fired smokehouse. A small smoker might need to work heavier to penetrate them enough.

img_0716-large.jpg

The hot dogs and bologna to head to the smokehouse.

bologna-deer1-large-e1532960679719.jpg

Them in the smokehouse. These casings do not like temperature probes and I have had them pop on me. They are small and easy to cook as written below.

bologna-deer2-large.jpg

The smokehouse fire box was warmed up so we settled into a 120° smoking area. Let that run for an hour and then slowly bumped up to 160 – 165 to finish the hotdogs. Ran that for an hour and pulled the hotdogs.

I brought them in and washed the sink and cut the links apart. I pushed and squeezed the hot dogs out of the casings and tossed them on this pan. A little bit of fat leaks out and makes it fairly easy. Nice skinless deer dogs!

img_1023-large-e1532964755204.jpg

After cooled sealed up and sent to the freezer. I gave one pack to my buddy Kevin and he ate them all already and loved them. They are flavored like sausages and don’t even need toppings, if you do not want them.

img_1024-large-e1532964745159.jpg

Here is my edited recipe. Now I will be copying these again next year in larger quantities. One thing I did find out is you do not need to emulsify the meat. After adding the water I just mixed heavily and no one complained about the texture. Maybe a professional would complain, but for my use they are perfect. I did it just like Al told me and they turned out great. These are hot dogs that taste like sausages.

deer-dogs-recipe.jpg

Rob , looks like you got it figured out . Nice job staying with it til you got it how you like them . Links look great , and I like the skinless .
Just something to think about , you might look into the addition of the sodium tripolyphosphates . Makes a great hot dog even better .
Again , great job on the sausage .

They stuck together just fine. Maybe its the milk that helps. I remember Al said just mix it hard and no one even noticed the difference.

Joey Chestnut better stay the hell away from my hot dogs! ;) I got guns :D

They stuck together just fine. Maybe its the milk that helps. I remember Al said just mix it hard and no one even noticed the difference.

Joey Chestnut better stay the hell away from my hot dogs! ;) I got guns :D

LOL---That guy ate 74 HotDogs in 10 minutes!!
He might eat your guns too?
How can anybody eat 74 Dogs in 10 minutes???
Most I ever ate was 5, and that was a lot of years ago!!

Bear

Rob I tried to find them casing do you have a code # for them,they look great
Thanks Richie

Man im glad u are figuring it out for all of.us!
And yah Im all about the hard mix giving the hot dog consistency. I use th drill, a bucket, and a sheet rock mud mixer to mix my sausage meat :-)

Reactions: archeryrob
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky