Deer Backstrap bacon wrapped

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
And I still have back strap in the freezer. My wife was pregnant this year and could not stand the smell or taste of deer meat. We usually eat a lot of game meat. But not this year I did make about 80 pounds of jerky though.

When I do venison medallions, tenderloin or steaks bacon wrapped I always do them in my big cast iron frying pan with about 1/2"-3/4" of smoking hot bacon grease.
Just can't quite get them to come out rare/med rare in the smoker or on the grill when bacon wrapped, not even with partially precooking the bacon.
And it seems to me that partially precooked bacon just doesn't impart the same flavor to the venison.

Now I can get smoked venison to come out really nice without bacon done in cast iron in the smoker.
I just cook the bacon/onions first to get the grease and seasoning and then the meat.
With Hickory or Mesquite smoke it is quite tasty.

Deer season is almost here again! :yahoo:

Archery deer hunt for me starts this Saturday. And I forgot I took deer steaks out last night.

I can't wait. For this weekend. October I think is when rifle starts here. I even bought a spare refrigerator to hang meat in.

What is that contraption your using?
Yeah my wife wanted it cooked on the gas grill [emoji]128078[/emoji] unfortunately. But on the bright side we can eat deer more again. Next time I will be doing bacon wrap back strap on the smoker. And cook it right.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky