Deboned Picnic Ham ~ Foamheart

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
OK lets catch up!

Picnic cured for 3 weeks after the injection and being placed in the brine. I don't believe I ran the Jacard over this before the cure. I took it out, rinsed it off and placed it in the sink full of cold water, left it and hour, Like on the shampoo bottle, rinsed and repeated. It got a total of 6 hours in cool clear water, water, water..... Patted it dry and put it in the reefer for a day and a half. Ya'll embarrassed me about my trussing so I bought some elastic meat netting ! Which I don't mind telling you is a soup sandwich to put on. It was fairly dry but remembering my pork smoking 101 class, it wasn't dry enough. I placed it on the counter and put a fan on it and went to take a shower. Came back and turned it over and started the smoker and loaded the tubes and the aux smoker and got the temp were I wanted it, and had a cold beer. Then it was dry enough. LOL

Here we are going in the smoker. Looks like my legs at the beginning of summer its so white!

IMG_8731.JPG

I am starting at 275 degrees, with vent wide open and door cracked and on latch. I use this position ALOT! . A little more de-watering. An hour later I dropped the temp, added the smoke (corn cob and apple), and dropped the temp to 110 degrees. And the box bounced at 110 to 115.

IMG_8734.JPG

The above was at some point in the middle of the smoke today. You can see the it starting to take color and that aroma!!

This is my mystical smoke picture! Is that cool? The spirits are surrounding the ham....

IMG_8743.JPG

And then I took it out after about 10 hours. That is an amazing color.

IMG_8748.JPG

Its so pretty I wanta show you both sides!!

IMG_8747.JPG

BTW I did fry a test piece after the rinses and it was good! But ya never know till its cooked Easter! I am thinking as good as it smells that maybe another smoke tomorrow might not be completely out of order. LOL I am proud of her now, I wish I could get it under my pillow, I'd sleep with it! Ya know you'd have good dreams.

Attachments

• IMG_8738.JPG
    IMG_8738.JPG
    109 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:
Kevin looks good so far but will it last till Easter.I think your trussing skill is very good,it is my lack of tying things like that.
Richie

Don't know how, but I missed this one.
That ham looks fantastic Kevin!!. Beautiful color.
Have to admit that I was in Trussing 101 with Dave and Richie, so yours looked pretty good to me. LOL I'm ordering some net bags when I get home (soon maybe).
Be sure to let us know if you decide to add more smoke.
Gary

Very nice Kevin.You disappoint me with no knots/origami this time.You coulda tied it up to look like a suckling pig.:D
kimg0229-jpg.350270

Kevin looks good so far but will it last till Easter.I think your trussing skill is very good,it is my lack of tying things like that.
Richie

Thanks Richie. I usually do a fair job at trussing, heck I was an eagle scout and a sailor! This was different but I was expecting it to be a pain. I had to try it for myself first, always do so I can really appreciate those that are my betters work. Even with the elastic netting it was still a pain getting it to all stay in. I will tell you though, that netting ain't no dance in the park to get on, I bought the tiope three sizes. Guys says "Oh yea, it will do a 25 lb turkey on the large size". Ok, this I gotta see! LOL

Looks good to me Foam....

Thanks, it sure smells good.

Don't know how, but I missed this one.
That ham looks fantastic Kevin!!. Beautiful color.
Have to admit that I was in Trussing 101 with Dave and Richie, so yours looked pretty good to me. LOL I'm ordering some net bags when I get home (soon maybe).
Be sure to let us know if you decide to add more smoke.
Gary

Thanks Gary, I think its pretty too....LOL Its really hard to beat corn cob and apple. on pork for color. You know That was about the ever last thing my Pop taught me before he died. As a kid they were dirt poor and had a farm. They butchered yearly, he was the baby and his job was to turn the meat everyday while curing. They used Pin Oak and corn cob to smoke and I found some corn cob just to try and make it like he had it as a kid. I was thinking the whole time it was going to be terrible but my first bacon turned out bpretty and I now have a valuable lesson in the repertoire. If you are smoking pork, try it sometime, I bet ya like it.

Looks good . I was waiting to see this , yeah nice color .

Thank you, I can't complain.....

Foamy, You do mojo in the smoker... amazing stuff there.....

But you can see what it is in that one picture. Its the "Epimēlides" which are dryads or nymphs which come out of the charred remains of apple wood. You must have your mojo synchronized with all the good vibes directed at the smoker. It just does the rest. That is why you must be relaxed, if it requires a few cold ones, you just have to do it to get the right state of mind. Thats my story and I am sticking to it.

Awesome Awesome looking ham gunda do some sweet taters with that?

Warren

Not sure yet, But sweet taters are a norm around my house. See Louisiana grows four things right. Sugar cane, tobacco, rice, and sweet taters! But have not made my menu. The norm would be sweet taters, green bean casserole, fruit salad, and light bread rolls. Heres what I am thinking Steamed sugar snap peas, jello mold, Orange Kuchen rolls, Not sure about the starch, Brother in Law doesn't do sweet taters. Maybe a corn casserole? These are just thoughts.

Kevin is that cold smoked ?
Richie

I no longer know what hot and cold smoked is. I reefer and fan dried the meat to form a peliculle, I preheated to 300, I put the ham in to de-water for 30 mins. I then cranked it down to about 110 degrees and added the smoke and left it at 110 w/ smoke for about 10 hours using corn cob and apple. Thats one A-MAZE-N 5 x 8 of pellets full. Had thought about another smoke today, but the wind is ridiculous out there today ( it messed my hair up LOL). I have all week for a second attempt if I get bored. Richie that color is Corn Cob and Apple, you really need to try it on pork or turkey.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky