Debating Smokers

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Debating Smokers

• Smoke Hollow

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Masterbuilt

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

tpsmoker

Original poster
Mar 8, 2011
Hey everyone!

Well, I'm looking to buy a electric smoker. I narrowed down my selection to just (2) brands.....Smoke Hollow & Masterbuilt.  I believe those are the best smokers that for around $300.  But, the jury is still out on which one to buy.  Now, just to give you some insight on my past smoking experinces. I have a Little Chief and I've had GREAT results with it.  For jerky, ribs, pork loin, etc....., but I have had to finish cooking those food items on my Weber gas grill.  Since this smoker produces alot of smoke (flavor) and it's easy to use, it just doesn't get hot enough...thus the Weber grill usage.  Now, I know that this smoker isn't designed to produce the necessary heat to cook. But, now I'm looking for that type of smoker. Now, living here in Iowa, we have a tendency to have extremely cold (burrr) winter days. Of which, I have been known to smoke during those times and would like to keep that option. So, I believe that with everyone's PROFESSIONAL SMOKING WISDOM, I can make a sound decesion.  In closing, I would like to THANK everyone for reading/responding to this!

I would recommend buying the MES 40 ($298.00 from Sam's Club) and then purchasing the 3yr extended warranty for an Additional $39.00. I have the MES 40 and could not be happier.

You also might want to check into buying an AMAZE-N-SMOKER to go along with it... Many of us use them for both cold and hot smoking and swear by them...

tp, Good evening. I live about at about the 49th parallel in Omak. I know what you mean by cold winters. I bought the MES 30 so I could walk out on the porch, load it up and know the temp was in the hands of the electronic controller. Sitting inside, watching it snow, run out and throw in some chips ( 20 seconds) head back in.

During the summer I could use my stick burner. Time will tell.

I live in central South Dakota and we havn't been above freezing for about a month now and have a couple of feet of snow on the ground.  I have a MES 40" and love it for this time of year.  I've been busy smoking most of the winter using the MES and the AMAZIN Smoker.  I'd recommend both.  I also have a Big Chief and a Chargriller Charcoal smoker.  I use the Big Chief for Smoked Salmon only, and didn't actually get the Chargriller going last year as the MES is so easy and makes a great product.  Am planning to do two turkeys this weekend and it's supposed to finally get over freezing.  Go with the MES and the AMAZIN Smoker, you won't regret it.

i own (2) MES 40" smokers and at least one of them is running just about every day.  They perform well in cold temps.

Go with the 40" MES at SAMS for $298

Todd

I have an MES 30 & an MES 40.

They both work fine, but the 30 is too small for many things, like ribs.  IMO

Like Todd said, "Go with the NEW MES 40" with remote control, wheels, glass door, etc at Sam's for $298, or get the same MES 40 but with ALL STAINLESS STEEL at Cabela's, often on sale for $349.

I'd get their warranty just in case.

Never had a "Too Cold" problem in PA.

Then if you get an AMNS---Your Smoking Life will be complete!

Bear

I agree with the rest of the gang on the MES40 - That is going to be my next smoker for sure

personally i like a bradley, put  i saw they have the mes 40 on amazon for $199.99 . good luck, as long as you are smoking it

doesn't matter what you use....everyone  has their personal smoker  they like,,most of the time it's the first one they buy,,

but sometimes you  can build  a homemade smoker better than what you can buy,, i found over the years of

smoking that the ones i buy aren't big enough and so you tend  to grow and want  bigger,, you know the old

say  go big or  stay home...lol....good luck on picking the one you want...

Hey everyone!

First of all, I would like to Thank everyone for responding with your Professional Smoking Wisdom!  So to let you know, I took your wisdom and bought a 40" Masterbuilt Smoker from SAMS today.  Along with the extended warrenty.  Now get this, within 15-minutes of putting the smoker into my cart, wheeling it down the aisle, thru the register, and out the door, I had (3) guys come up and tell me that this smoker is awesome and I'll love it!  So, what's that tell me?  I must have made a "wise" decision.  A decision made thru reading all your responses and doing my research (going on several weeks).  So, now it's time for me to roll up my sleeves and start smoking! 

Thanks again!

tpsmoker

Congrats on your choice I think you'll be very happy with it. We have lots of members here that use them and really like them

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky