Day 11 on dry cured sausage.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

CFLJOHN512

Meat Mopper
Original poster
May 9, 2020
Kind of excited to eat this stuff. It’s still got a while to go. Looking pretty delicious so far. I had a few guys help, which I appreciate greatly. Now just hanging tight till it’s ready.
B682A2D6-4A81-4A80-9257-160342C64D4C.jpeg

Nice More details?

I used a pork butt. About 3.2 lbs along with the fat. Cut it into cubes about 2 cm. 3% salt, and 5g cure #2. Lots of black pepper, some garlic, coriander, red pepper flakes, red wine, and stuffed in natural hog casings.
this is my first go at it.
Here is the pic right after making them.

Attachments

• B0E58DE7-80B6-431A-AA77-60B02A54BF8C.jpeg
    B0E58DE7-80B6-431A-AA77-60B02A54BF8C.jpeg
    136 KB · Views: 11
I used a pork butt. About 3.2 lbs along with the fat. Cut it into cubes about 2 cm. 3% salt, and 5g cure #2. Lots of black pepper, some garlic, coriander, red pepper flakes, red wine, and stuffed in natural hog casings.
this is my first go at it.
Here is the pic right after making them.

Cure is a bit high but should still be safe.

Cure#2 in dry cured meats can be as high as ~4.4 grams per pound...
..ONLY BECAUSE it is 6.25% nitrite... The nitrate is way below maximums...
Cure ingoing maximums.png

Reactions: CFLJOHN512
Do you have a curing chamber?
Or are you one of those lucky guys who has a basement that is just the right temp & humidity?
Also I’m wondering why there is no white mold on it yet. Did you spray it with mold 600? Just curious!
Al

Do you have a curing chamber?
Or are you one of those lucky guys who has a basement that is just the right temp & humidity?
Also I’m wondering why there is no white mold on it yet. Did you spray it with mold 600? Just curious!
Al
It’s kept in a spare bedroom closet with a small fan and the door cracked. I had a humidifier in there the first few days. No mold 600 used. It stays about 60 degrees in there, it has the first vent from the AC unit.

It’s kept in a spare bedroom closet with a small fan and the door cracked. I had a humidifier in there the first few days. No mold 600 used. It stays about 60 degrees in there, it has the first vent from the AC unit.
Sounds like a perfect setup!
Al

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky