Dark Bark

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

DocJ

Original poster
Jan 26, 2023
I have followed Jeff’s recipes and smoking instructions for years and have been able to produce some really good smoked items. Many times however, the bark on my meats gets too dark, almost to the point of being burned. How do you guys get the proper finish temperature and still retain the nice mahogany color without burning the bark? I have several different charcoal/stick burner smokers that I use. I have no pellet smoker. Thanks!

Reactions: JLeonard
Currently no, but I will be doing a pork shoulder this weekend. Will get some picks at that time. Thanks!

Reactions: JLeonard
I have followed Jeff’s recipes and smoking instructions for years and have been able to produce some really good smoked items. Many times however, the bark on my meats gets too dark, almost to the point of being burned. How do you guys get the proper finish temperature and still retain the nice mahogany color without burning the bark? I have several different charcoal/stick burner smokers that I use. I have no pellet smoker. Thanks!
Wrapping it when you get the bark you like helps

Are you burning a clean fire?

Does your rub have a lot of sugar? Can you move the meat away from the fire a bit? Maybe add a heat blocker/water pan of some sort? Interesting that wrapping does not seem to help.

You may want to run lower temps and also spritz. Basically I would guess the sugars are burning. You could also try a rub without sugars and sprinkle in brown sugar towards the end. Just spitballing some ideas
Thanks Jcam. I do spritz with apple juice + apple cider vinegar. Guess it could be the sugar in my rub.

Does your rub have a lot of sugar? Can you move the meat away from the fire a bit? Maybe add a heat blocker/water pan of some sort? Interesting that wrapping does not seem to help.
Will try all of those things

Welcome aboard, and......
rEVgkHr.jpg
Are you looking for this kind of color on your barbecue during the first part of your cook? Barbecue men from yesteryear didn't know what the Maillard reaction was, but they sure knew what they liked and tending meat on the pit was very important.
OZ7zRQw.jpg
As others mentioned, simple sugars in your rub or something like apple juice for spritzing, combined with your pit temp (and drafting of your pit) can cause early darkening. Some commercial rubs use turbinado sugar which can handle higher temps. And, Too much of even a trusted rub can be the culprit also. I go pretty light on seasonings, they are after all, meant to accent the meat. The old saying "less is more better" holds true.

Foil is a tool, not a rule. Wrapping can help if your barbecue (especially brisket and butts) are not tendering up like you planned, or your food is too smokey, or is getting too dark, or is drier than you like. The old saying "wrap on color, pull on tenderness" is true.

Water for spritzing works great for setting bark, and keeping it moist, so maybe play around with that option. Spray oil or spray butter (in moderation) during the early stages of cooking can have an influence too.

You have plenty of tips in this thread, use them one or two at a time and see what works for you.

Welcome aboard, and......
Are you looking for this kind of color on your barbecue during the first part of your cook? Barbecue men from yesteryear didn't know what the Maillard reaction was, but they sure knew what they liked and tending meat on the pit was very important.
View attachment 655960
As others mentioned, simple sugars in your rub or something like apple juice for spritzing, combined with your pit temp (and drafting of your pit) can cause early darkening. Some commercial rubs use turbinado sugar which can handle higher temps. And, Too much of even a trusted rub can be the culprit also. I go pretty light on seasonings, they are after all, meant to accent the meat. The old saying "less is more better" holds true.

Foil is a tool, not a rule. Wrapping can help if your barbecue (especially brisket and butts) are not tendering up like you planned, or your food is too smokey, or is getting too dark, or is drier than you like. The old saying "wrap on color, pull on tenderness" is true.

Water for spritzing works great for setting bark, and keeping it moist, so maybe play around with that option. Spray oil or spray butter (in moderation) during the early stages of cooking can have an influence too.

You have plenty of tips in this thread, use them one or two at a time and see what works for you.
AWESOME ThirdEye! Yes, that color is exactly what I would like to see. Thanks for all of your comments and suggestions. Everyone who responded to my concern has been very helpful.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky