Dang! Screwed twice!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

indacup

Fire Starter
Original poster
Apr 14, 2011
Monticello, IA
I m mentioned awhile back that while burning charcoal on the grill of my Bar-B-Q to slide into my Weber Smoker, I inadvertantly burned the frame of the Bar-B-Q and the side of my garage.

Well, I gave the grill to my son (figuring I'd buy an infrared one)...and decided Electric smoker is the way to go...I saw Sams Club had the 40" MES for $249...so I gave my Weber to my brother...went to Sams to get the MES...and they were out of stock!

ALL Sams are out of stock!

So now I am facing the 4th of July weekend, with about 30 family members coming over...with no Smoker and no grill!!!!

Dang gummit!

Got a Cabelas near by?  They have them.

Craig

Charcoal and wood is your friend 
biggrin.gif

Hope it works out
th_violent5.gif

Good luck with your search. You could always get a propane GOSM then get your MES when they come in and that way you'd have more choices when you want to smoke something
biggrin.gif

I just got a gosm and i love it.Instant heat just add meat,LP, chips and water.I had it up to 400 and stopped their for pizza.Then 200 for 7 hr for BB.I love being able to get huge temp swing at the twist of a knob.To pull that off on my stick burner would have been possible but hard .

No All SAMS!!!

My Local SAMS has some in stock

277 miles to Savage, MN?

Any friends or family ever hit the Twin Cities?

How about Mall of America?

Todd

Last edited:
No All SAMS!!!

My Local SAMS has some in stock

277 miles to Savage, MN?

Any friends or family ever hit the Twin Cities?

How about Mall of America?

Todd
I went on line and it says all Sams are out of stock...and i WILL b e driving thru the Twin Cities on Monday...on my twice a month trek to Duluth.....which sams has them???

Thanks!

If ya up for a road trip the sams here has 5 on the shelf. i'll even cook ya some good cajun food.

Listening to all who have modified their smokers..........they are totally happy with them until.......they join this forum........

Seems to be a ritual to modify stuff once you find out you can do it...... "I think it is not smoking right" and the AMNS comes into play.......Not heating right and in goes a floor tile........

In my case, I wanted more heat control on the element and added a 1500 watt rheostat..........enough said..........no..............boys and their toys

I do believe, if you did not know how good Q is supposed to be cooked......and never ate good Q.........any off the shelf smoker would do just fine.........

were all just havin' fun and tellin' stories.....
music-064.gif

Last edited:
Stay away from MES. You are just going to have to rebuild it and then you will have to get AmaZn smoker to make it work.

I have yet to find an MES owner that did not over haul it or add an AmaZn Smoker.

Sorry folks just the facts.

Karl
I have the MES 40" and love it. 

I added the Amaze-N-Smoker in order to cold smoke Cheese and Sausage and Bacon which has nothing to do with the MES's performance.

I also found out it is an excellent accessory for hot smoking also because of the long smoke times..

Stay away from MES. You are just going to have to rebuild it and then you will have to get AmaZn smoker to make it work.

I have yet to find an MES owner that did not over haul it or add an AmaZn Smoker.

Sorry folks just the facts.

Karl
Really Karl?

Do some research  on SMF and you just may find "Hundreds" of people using the MES with great success. 

I personally own (2) 40" MES and have literally thousands of hours between them.  They are used almost every day, Spring, Summer, Fall & Winter.  I too burned a terminal end, but in less than 5 minutes, I had it fixed.

The MES will smoke without the AMNS, but if a guy wants to cold smoke, the little gadget is pretty effective.  If a MES owner wants to supplement smoke at higher temps, well the AMNS does a pretty good job there too. In-fact, I have 3 customers who own a Little Chief or Big Chief, who also use a 6x6 AMNS.

If you think your Little Chief or Big Chief smokers are better than the MES tell us why?

So, the "Facts", as you state them, are really "Your Opinions", nothing more!

Post something that's informative, like a comparison of the Little Chief or Big Chief vs. the MES 30 or MES 40, rather than post cheap shot after cheap shot!

Insulated?

Cubic In.?

Sq. In. of The Racks?

Heating Element Size?

Digital Controls?

Built in Thermostat

Remote Control?

All Stainless?

Todd

Last edited:
From what I've read hear over the last year is that all smokers are not optimum out of the box. They all need mods of some sort. Also from what I've read it seems the MES needs the least amount of mods compared to other smokers. Apparently it seems to be the best smoker out there based on Karl's criteria.  I don't own one so I only know what I've read.

There's an awfully lot of happy MES owners on here Karl. I don't think you will find many to take your side on this issue.

I have an MES 40 and have had it for roughly 4-5yrs and no problems, not even with the electrical side of it, It is stored in the garage when not in use.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky