Dad's Leftover Turkey Pot Pie

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bauchjw

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Aug 3, 2015
Alexandria, VA
Alright! Here was my my entry, I found this on Allrecipes, called Dad’s Leftover Turkey Potpie and thought it looked real tasty. It definitely was delicious! I just want to say congrats to David and Chop, two incredible dishes! Here is what I did!

Ingredients:
  • 2 cups peas and carrots
  • 2 cups green beans
  • 1 cup sliced celery
  • ⅔ cup butter
  • ⅔ cup diced onion
  • ⅔ cup all-purpose flour
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
  • ½ teaspoon celery seed
  • ½ teaspoon onion powder
  • ½ teaspoon Italian seasoning
  • 1 ¾ cups chicken broth (or Turkey stock)
  • 1 ⅓ cups milk
  • 4 cups cubed leftover cooked turkey
  • I used 2 c (14.1 ounce) packages pastry for a 9-inch double-crust pie. Someday I’ll get into making my own crust!
First I smoked a Turkey in the BelFab, then carved it up and used the carcass for stock.
A1267D1B-9983-4D41-8BCC-4AEAB74D7117.jpeg

5218719C-B2A6-4A66-8588-CF62C3D68005.jpeg

Next day:
  1. Melt butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and cook until translucent.
  2. In a bowl mix flour, salt, pepper, celery seed, onion powder, and Italian seasoning together.
  3. Then whisk in with the butter and onions until a paste forms, about 1 minute. Then slowly whisk in Turkey stock (or chicken broth) and then milk until incorporated; bring to a simmer and cook, whisking constantly, until sauce thickens.
    DFE7DC55-15DA-486B-AFFF-A71680183CE6.jpeg
    6B794FA9-2F4A-4A16-8586-7C8D13516AA7.jpeg
  4. Remove thickened sauce from the heat; add cooked, drained vegetables and cubed turkey and stir until filling is well combined.
    D8E7257E-E70F-4904-A5F1-7EC629051991.jpeg
  5. Set out two 9-inch pie dishes. Fit one pie pastry into the bottom of each dish. Spoon 1/2 of the pot pie filling into each dish, then lay the remaining pie pastries over top. Pinch and roll the top and bottom pastries together at the edges to seal. Cut several small slits in each top pastry to allow steam to release while cooking. Place pies on baking sheets.
    376259C4-DF59-49EA-AE2F-C7D249969B42.jpeg
    C2ECC5A8-714D-4512-870B-15256E92C5C1.jpeg

6. Bake in the preheated oven for 15 minutes. Check the top crusts for browning; if they are browning too quickly, cover with aluminum foil. Continue to bake until the crusts are golden brown and the filling is bubbly, 15 to 20 more minutes.
  7. Remove from the oven and cool for 10 minutes before serving.
1301E66D-C512-4695-BB8B-31A8084F1AFF.jpeg

5AC3023E-E75D-4701-BE9F-4E4C2038B089.jpeg

Oh, I forgot. For some extra flavor I also did some sage fried in brown butter for the topping. 🤣 If you haven’t tried this it’s very very good!
16432B65-A99A-4E78-911C-B4AE2A394842.jpeg

Here it is! Not my prettiest plating, but the taste was awesome!

3D92A73C-2C18-46D8-94E4-FBA53B4957A3.jpeg

Once again, congrats to DRKsmoking DRKsmoking and chopsaw chopsaw for some awesome entries! Both were incredible!

Merry Christmas Everyone!

Attachments

• 302C5C38-DC5C-4A2A-A725-8E153610F6FD.jpeg
    302C5C38-DC5C-4A2A-A725-8E153610F6FD.jpeg
    175.2 KB · Views: 5
  • E94F0DFB-7ABB-4ABA-96B3-7B5E649D391A.jpeg
    E94F0DFB-7ABB-4ABA-96B3-7B5E649D391A.jpeg
    187.5 KB · Views: 10
Awesome job Jed! Your meal looks delicious! I haven't had a pot pie in forever...gonna have to change that. And love your helper...he looks so serious!

Ryan

Reactions: bauchjw
Man I need a plate/bowl of that right now. Temp just went from 48 to 26 in a hour, and it's going to keep going to close to zero tonight. Great looking pot pie. Well done sir!

It looks so delicious!! Love pot pies and yours is excellent!! Awesome picture of your young helper too!!
Thank you Sir! I appreciate it! He wants to do anything I do, I hope it stays that way🤣
Awesome job Jed! Your meal looks delicious! I haven't had a pot pie in forever...gonna have to change that. And love your helper...he looks so serious!

Ryan
Thank you Ryan! This one is definitely worth putting together, it’s the first potpie I’ve tried, it was a lot of fun and the family liked it!
Jed , you put some serious effort into that entry . Impressive .
Thank you Chop! You had an awesome entry, that pan fried pork chop was killer! I crave those on Saturdays! Great job.
Man I need a plate/bowl of that right now. Temp just went from 48 to 26 in a hour, and it's going to keep going to close to zero tonight. Great looking pot pie. Well done sir!
Thank you! I wish I could ship you some to deal with that weather! I appreciate it, hope you can whip some up to get you through a few more days! Hang in there!

Meat and pie, two of the best things ever. Yours looks glorious. I love the gravy, too.
Thank you Sven! Pretty easy recipe, highly recommend a go! I appreciate your time!
Fantastic Jed, that pie looks great.
I also love pot pies and I could go for that right now.

David
Thank you David! I’ll trade you🤣

• Haha
Reactions: DRKsmoking
Absolutely spectacular Jed!! That is one amazing looking meal my friend. I've loved pot pies since very young but they always had Swanson on the package. Me thinks you have them beat hands down buddy :emoji_wink: That would be worth the drive to the town I was born in for even a taste of that.

Robert

Absolutely spectacular Jed!! That is one amazing looking meal my friend. I've loved pot pies since very young but they always had Swanson on the package. Me thinks you have them beat hands down buddy :emoji_wink: That would be worth the drive to the town I was born in for even a taste of that.

Robert
Haha, you’re welcome back anytime! I’ll have a few slices here for you…and cold beverages🤣

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky