Cyclist be Warned about Counterfeit Bike Parts

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

sandyut

Smoking Guru
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Feb 18, 2015
Colorado
hello to and and all road or mountain bike riders. I accidentally bought and immediately returned some counterfeit PD-8100 SPD pedals. the listing totally tricked me till i got the shipping notice and found a key word was missing "Shimano" was no where to be found. the listing used all the Shimano part numbers so i didn't even notice the blank for brand stated "unbranded". then on closer review - the Shimano word is missing from the pedals, the box etc. VERY SHADY!

In deeper searching - I found this is fairly common place for Shimano, SRAM, Raceface, etc.

Be careful. I hate to spend my money on crap. especially when this equipment will be required in order to ride home or to the car to home.

Reactions: uncle eddie
Thanks for the heads up. Was this through Amazon? I've had some counterfeit products show up when purchasing from 3rd part sellers through them.

This was on eBay. but Amazon is also known for this as well. Saw a few other posts elsewhere calling out Amazon and eBay.

Hey Brian, one last day: Monday 3.1.2021...for the sole purpose of getting health insurance through March. Just need to show up, turn in badge and say good bye FOREVER!

Congrats to you!!! glad you made it out. Ill join you very soon!

Pedals? Cranksets?
Heh heh, I'm headed back to my bicycle days with a gravity downhiller. A winter project of sorts. I will be making the knee rests soon, which will hang on a tube out of the seat post tube. I have a seat that will rest nicely on a new tube welded in where the kick stand mounting plate was. What could go wrong?
Yee Haaw!

1614396715334.png

hello to and and all road or mountain bike riders. I accidentally bought and immediately returned some counterfeit PD-8100 SPD pedals. the listing totally tricked me till i got the shipping notice and found a key word was missing "Shimano" was no where to be found. the listing used all the Shimano part numbers so i didn't even notice the blank for brand stated "unbranded". then on closer review - the Shimano word is missing from the pedals, the box etc. VERY SHADY!

In deeper searching - I found this is fairly common place for Shimano, SRAM, Raceface, etc.

Be careful. I hate to spend my money on crap. especially when this equipment will be required in order to ride home or to the car to home.

Thanks for the heads-up! I mostly cycle on the KATY trail and the grit wears pedals and chains put quickly.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky