Cutting ribs?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

your behind bbq

Original poster
Jul 6, 2012
Waddell, Arizona
hey guys i jumped in to competitions about 6 months ago and i notice allot of people using electric knifes. i have a tough time trying to cut ribs straight for presentation and i use a regular knife. what are your thoughts? regular knifes vs electric knifes??

Do you have a power source at your comps?

I see that you are new here, when you get a minute would you do us a favor and go to "Roll Call" and introduce yourself so we can get to know you and give you a proper welcome, also would you add your location to your profile, we like knowing where you are when we talk to you, Thanks!

Well if you don't feel you are getting the cut you want with a knife then it is worth giving the electric a try.

when you cut your ribs do you cut them standing up, upside down, or from the top? sorry for so many questions
icon_confused.gif

I've never done a comp so I just hack them up so I can eat them!

I just responded because I've seen some use electric on BBQ Pitmaster's and I think I read a thread on here about someone doing comps that put a generator on their rig because they didn't have power at comps. So I thought that was something to think about.

Also I just meant if you don't like your knife cut try an electric at home and see what you like before going to a comp. I guess I just meant practice and try different methods to try and perfect it before you go.

I'm no expert just trying to throw some ideas out there.

Though I don't do comps, I do like to present a nice looking slice so I use a VERY sharp knife.  Since they're getting points for presentation, I imagine the competotors use the elec knife for the precision cut they provide.

They also cut right down the side of one bone... skip a bone.. and down the side of the next bone... so the bone they present has all the meat on both sides of the bone... hope that makes sense.. i just confused myself.. LOL

BTW. Electric for me

Last edited:
I was using an 8" kitchen knife. the last rack i used a 8" fillet knife and it was much better. I envy people that can cut a nice looking rib. maybe electric is the way to go. if you find out what is good, I would love to hear it. after cutting 6 racks by hand for the third time this year, I want an electric knife!

I've seen a local guy who smokes some great PP and ribs use an Ulu but I don't think it would give a comp cut but for catering it is quick!

An Electric is of value in making clean cuts if you don't have a quality, Very Sharp, knife. Considering the knives are similarly priced, and you will have the added expense of a knife sharpener, an electric may be a better choice. Every time I mention getting an electric to try, my Wife says, " Your a Culinary instructor with a drawer full of Razor Sharp knives...What possible reason is there to buy an Electric knife!?! "
th_dunno-1%5B1%5D.gif
...JJ

Last edited:
An Electric is of value in making clean cuts if you don't have a quality, Very Sharp, knife. Considering the knives are similarly priced, and you will have the added expense of a knife sharpener, an electric may be a better choice. Every time I mention getting an electric to try, my Wife says, " Your a Culinary instructor with a drawer full of Razor Sharp knives...What possible reason is there to buy an Electric knife!?! "
th_dunno-1%5B1%5D.gif
...JJ
JJ,

When fishing down here if we are lucky enough to limit out for 2 days we may have up to 240 fish to filet. That's when you NEED an electric knife or 3.

If i only have a few fish i may use the old rapalas but that electric makes a bunch of cleaning go a lot faster.

It's a Kitchen Aid, used to be my wife's, but I have kinda borrowed it for awhile now so it's mine.  I have been looking into cordless electric knives, but have yet to find one that I like or can afford at this time.  Cuisinart makes a good one (corded), but your gonna pay for the name.  Hamilton Beach has one (corded also) at BBB for $20.  I'm sure Wal-Mart or Target has some as well.   

First, I don't do comps; so I have nothing for you there.

I do use knives, though. I have acquired some good quality steel knives over the years - and if I can keep my wife from abusing them - I keep them sharp and use a steel before each use. I have been known to send them out to be sharpened, but generally I do the sharpening myself.

My experience with electric knives dates back to the '60s and '70s. That was before I discovered how to buy and use good, sharp knives. I haven't tried an electric in more than 20 years and doubt that I'd go back, but maybe the quality has improved. I've filleted hundreds of fish at a time (but I was younger then) and cannot imagine using an electric on them because I'd be afraid that the motor would take bones that I can 'feel' with my knife. I'd have the same concern about using an electric knife in a comp. I would think that getting a piece of bone in an unexpected place would be like discovering a prostitute in church to a judge.

My advice? Buy the best knive(s) you can afford and learn how to keep them sharp. Always look to your knives before you ever start to prepare any food. The last thing you want to do is to have to find a knife, or sharpen it, or use something as an inferior substitute on good food that was been well prepared.

JM2¢W - and worth less than you paid for it.

I wish I could give you comp experience knowledge. Maybe I will have some one day... Smoker build sloooowly in progress.

I personally go by the school of using sharp knives and keeping them sharp...
I was given an electric knife in the past, but never have used it. I have worked with people who love them.

Me being nit picky like the Chef's I have worked for and trained me. When you use a knife to cut a large piece of meat (I.e. brisket, turkey, ham........) every time you change direction with the knife you leave a slight line in the meat. The more times you do this, like sawing a piece of wood, you cut down on the look of the product you are presenting. I prefer a 12"-14" long hollow ground slicer for cutting larger pieces of meat. I never use a serrated knife to cut meat for presentation, looks like it was cut with a chain saw. But electric knives are serrated and don't do a bad job. As mentioned by earlier post, practice and figure out what you prefer and take care of your equipment. The sharper the better! More practice = straighter cleaner cuts

Hope this helps.

Jeramy

I always go with a heavy German steel knife that is very sharp and can be sharpened easily.  I tried to cut a turkey once with an electric knife....complete failure on my part.

Since we are on the subject of knives, and my old chefs choice sharpener is not giving me a good edge anymore - what is the expert consensus on the best tool to sharpen a dull knife?

I've resorted to using one of those diamond rod cross stick tools out of my hunting stuff. It works, but I know I can get a better edge.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky