Cutting Boards

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Flatrate

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Jun 8, 2015
Michigan
Anyone have a good recommendation on cutting boards? I bought myself a nice Zwilling J.A. Henckels knife set a few years ago, and lately have been thinking about getting a new board. I have been looking at some John Boos boards. Open to suggestions.

Thanks
Dave

epicurian at bed bath and beyond... I like the rubber corners and without(just put a dish towel under it). They hold up to my sharpest knifes.

I like a 1/2” thick piece of poly. Come in a variety of sizes but lack eye appeal in the kitchen. Mine r used in the garage

Ploy boards will cut and need replacement. This is a issue with cleaning and sanitizing. But they will last for a while then just replace.

Warren

Personally I prefer end grain cutting boards. They are much easier on the knives and are very easy to maintain. I made my own so I can't really help you on brands. My son has one made with Acacia wood, he got on ebay very cheaply and it has held up well.

Reactions: Flatrate and SonnyE
Years ago now, decades even, Readers Digest or Consumers Reports did a test involving kitchen cutting boards.
Interesting results. They set out to set the record straight about cutting boards.
The cutting boards were used with a test of foods/meats. Then cleaned as prescribed for the time.
They were all swabbed and the swabs tested for bacteria. They used the same method on the boards being tested.
What they found was surprising indeed. The plastic/poly cutting boards actually grew bacteria over time, and the hardwood/Maple cutting boards became sterile.
The wood used in Grandma and Grandpa's butcher blocks was self disinfecting.

For that reason, and because I'm nostalgic anyway, I prefer to use one of our wooden cutting boards.

John Boos are some damn fine cutting boards/butcher blocks.
Also you might like to consider Michigan Butcher Block Co.

One Christmas I bought the wife a Zwilling J.A. Henckels knife set and blade block to replace her old worn out set.
It was a starter set that set me on a course to fill it with blades we love to use.
I even got a Henckels vegetable clever I love to use. But it resides in a drawer.

Reactions: Flatrate
Thanks everyone, and thanks for the link John! I will read the link when I get home from work in the morning.

I have a few poly boards, and leaning towards a good wood board. I just want to invest in something that will last.

Sonny, I did look at the Michigan Butcher Block Co. offering and will look into them further also. When I bought my Henckels I jumped in and got a full set, and glad I did, they are wonderful knives. My block had 2 empty slots, one was for a clever which I have also, I want to say I filled the other slot with the matching bread knife. Can't remember right now, but my block is full.

Thanks again.
Dave

We have several boards, but an end grain board is the easiest on your knives, but also the most expensive.
Boos makes some great boards, I have had one for several years & use it daily!
Al

Reactions: Flatrate
... When I bought my Henckels I jumped in and got a full set, and glad I did, they are wonderful knives. My block had 2 empty slots, one was for a clever which I have also, I want to say I filled the other slot with the matching bread knife. Can't remember right now, but my block is full.
With all those wonderful (and expensive) new knives, you might want to think of getting a knife sharpener that can keep them even sharper than what you get from the factory.

Work Sharp Ken Onion Edition

I bought the sharpener right from Henckels when I got the set. It works great only 2-3 swipes in each slot, and they are very sharp. I will say that they do hold a sharp edge for awhile. The chef's knife gets the most abuse, and has only been sharpened a hand full of times in 3 years.

Thanks guys for the tip on the end grain boards. I like those!

If your looking for cheap, but large boards try calling a local sign shop that does illuminated cabinets. They often have off cuts of the sign grade acrylic. The acrylic will scratch over time but a quick sanding fixes that. It is also soft enough that it does not dull the blade unless you roll the edge. I got a piece the size of my tailgate for $5.

Anyone have a good recommendation on cutting boards? I bought myself a nice Zwilling J.A. Henckels knife set a few years ago, and lately have been thinking about getting a new board. I have been looking at some John Boos boards. Open to suggestions.

Thanks
Dave
I will suggest you buy plastic cutting board with stand, I will tell you why? Because it is the best option if you are suffering from back pain and it is easy to clean.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky