Cutting Board Recommendations

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Buckeye1

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Apr 23, 2020
In the market for a new cutting board with a juice groove. The old board has a few splits and leaks through. I would want larger enough for carving briskets and turkeys.

Try Boos Board, they are expensive, but very high quality.
Also if you have some woodworking skills, making a cutting board is not that hard. If you go that route I would make an end grain board, they are really easy on your knives.
Al

Reactions: Plinsc and Steve H
I would like a Boos board end grain cutting board. They are a touch pricy. I have been using pretty only bamboo boards lately. Easy to clean and they look good.

Try Boos Board, they are expensive, but very high quality.
Also if you have some woodworking skills, making a cutting board is not that hard. If you go that route I would make an end grain board, they are really easy on your knives.
Al

Funny you should say that Al.
I was just browsing these this morning and the recommendation helps with my decision too !

Reactions: Steve H
Thanks guys, gonna check out the Boos.
You won't go wrong with BooS .
Just know what you're buying if you surf Etsy or Wayfair . A lot of the ones you'll come across look great and the price is really good . Then you find out for 50 bucks you get a board that's 9 x 11 . If you can even find a size . Some will say " Small . Medium or Large " The options drop down shows juice groove , finger grab and feet . Your 50 dollar cutting board is now close to $200 .00
Like I said , Boos will post his price , size and the configuration all together . No surprises . Option will be wood species .
A quality wood board should last a lifetime with proper use and care . I like the edge grain boards . I get more people asking for those than end grain . These are people that make their living in commercial kitchens .
'Tis the season . I've moved 5 carving boards , 4 bread boards and 2 bow knives with holders in the last 3 weeks .

Bear Jr sells a lot of Fancy Stuff on Etsy, but some of it is Cutting Boards.
They all have their sizes included in the listings.
He goes by the name "Rustic Legend Woodworx".

His Best Cutting boards are "All End Grain" cutting surface.
He has some cheaper fancy boards that are Face & Edge Grain. Face & Edge Grain are basically the same thing.

I don't generally push his stuff, but since some of you are shopping, I'll post the Link:
Here is the link to his store on Etsy:
Rustic Legends WoodWorks by RusticLegendWoodworx on Etsy

BTW: Free Shipping on most items.

Bear

Last edited:
Reactions: jcam222
Just know what you're buying if you surf Etsy or Wayfair . A lot of the ones you'll come across look great and the price is really good . Then you find out for 50 bucks you get a board that's 9 x 11 . If you can even find a size . Some will say " Small . Medium or Large " The options drop down shows juice groove , finger grab and feet . Your 50 dollar cutting board is now close to $200 .00
Like I said , Boos will post his price , size and the configuration all together . No surprises . Option will be wood species .
A quality wood board should last a lifetime with proper use and care . I like the edge grain boards . I get more people asking for those than end grain . These are people that make their living in commercial kitchens .
'Tis the season . I've moved 5 carving boards , 4 bread boards and 2 bow knives with holders in the last 3 weeks .
So I'm not much for a woodworker... whats the difference between end grain and edge grain cutting boards?

Ryan

So I'm not much for a woodworker... whats the difference between end grain and edge grain cutting boards?
You have face grain , edge grain and end grain . Face grain is the surface of the board . Edge grain is the side or the edge of a cut , and end grain is the " butt " cut of the wood . So if you had a 2 x 4 , the 3 1/2 would be the face . The 1 1/2 would be the edge , and the end would be ,,, the end .
This is an edge grain board . Nothing at all wrong with them . Nice quality board . Most of the boards you'll look at on the BooS web sight will be edge grain .
1638141159308.jpeg

If you have right tools you can make your own. Here is one I just completed few months ago. Dad and I get live edge slabs locally and cut it down

will be doing a 3d end grain style next

F66C8FF2-8312-4DA1-9F42-AF94DDADC8B8.jpeg

Chopsaw makes a very fine cutting board. I’ve got a beautiful one.

Reactions: gmc2003 and chopsaw
Sorry wood workers. You missed the obvious answer to Ryan's question.
End grain is popular in thicker boards and chop blocks for one reason.
End grain is easier on the knife edge.
Downside is you need to sanitize the end grain block as the knife cut sends food particles deeper into the wood.

I found a better compromise with bamboo cutting boards. Relatively soft for the knife, but not so much to require as heavy a sanitizing as a chop block

Bear Jr sells a lot of Fancy Stuff on Etsy, but some of it is Cutting Boards.
They all have their sizes included in the listings.
He goes by the name "Rustic Legend Woodworx".

His Best Cutting boards are "All End Grain" cutting surface.
He has some cheaper fancy boards that are Face & Edge Grain. Face & Edge Grain are basically the same thing.

I don't generally push his stuff, but since some of you are shopping, I'll post the Link:
Here is the link to his store on Etsy:
Rustic Legends WoodWorks by RusticLegendWoodworx on Etsy

BTW: Free Shipping on most items.

Bear
That stuff is beautiful. I might need to order some for um my wife yeah she'd like that. Ok might be for me.

Reactions: Brokenhandle
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky