Curious about dogs?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I realize there is too much fat in them to keep longer than a week or two. What the heck, just might do a pack for weekend snacking.

Hot dog burnt ends ? Jeff has a spiral cut smoked hot dog on a stick that comes out good . You could cut up the dogs , coat with some rub and smoke em to different levels of doneness to see what you like .
I'm starting to like this idea ,,,

Give it a shot!
I have a sneaky suspicion it may take quite a while to dehydrate and you may not end up with a jerky product but something more like a dry cured sausage product.

When I do ground meat jerky sticks the higher the fat content the more grease keeps coming out that needs to be wiped off. Also more moisture comes out. This is with Costco 88/12 beef. Your hotdogs will surely be closer to 60/40 with more fluid in them.

When I was a kid I did this little thing where I would tightly roll up/wrap hot dogs in a paper towel and then microwave them. The paper towel wouldn't let them expand which did this interesting thing where the outside would get "jerky-ish" and the inside would still be tender. Play around with that and see what you produce and maybe that will be something like you will get when you attempt this hotdog jerky experiment :)

You never know until you try. I hope this info helps!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky