Curing time in sausage

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

skhunter

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Nov 7, 2007
Saskatchewan, Canada
I have been making snack stix and various other smoked sausage and have always used cure  #1. I mix stuff and put into the smoker immediately and smoke to 155 IT. I seen people say that you must wait 24 hours before smoking to let the cure work.

Have I been doing it wrong?

As a newbie, I have the same question. I have tried both ways and I don't see much difference.

I'm sure there will be some pro's that will have some answers......

Brad

I have been making snack stix and various other smoked sausage and have always used cure  #1. I mix stuff and put into the smoker immediately and smoke to 155 IT. I seen people say that you must wait 24 hours before smoking to let the cure work.

Have I been doing it wrong?

Adding cure to ground meat, it works pretty fast.... BUT... to be on the safe side, I let mine sit in the refer for 24 hours just to be sure.. OR if the smoker is cool.... down around 40 ish degrees, you can hang it in there..... Temp should be 38 degrees for cure to work properly... It won't work if the meat is frozen for example...

Some kits that you buy say to mix stuff and smoke with no mention of a 24 hr cure.I have done it both ways BUT as Dave says better to be safe and wait

Some kits that you buy say to mix stuff and smoke with no mention of a 24 hr cure.I have done it both ways BUT as Dave says better to be safe and wait

CM, afternoon..... That's true about recipes you find elsewhere... They sometimes omit important details, or have typo errors in recipes, OR they plain don't have a clue how to cure properly.... Many U-Tube "experts" do a recipe once, and make a film....
Soooooo, It's important to learn all you can about curing from SEVERAL sources.... USDA and the FDA are good places to start..... Universities also....

Dave

This topic has been kicked around before...many here stuff and do the overnight rest in the fridge for the cure to work and, often as not, to help the casings dry out some. I read somewhere that the minimum time for cure #1 to work it's magic is 4 hours. This was confirmed by another couple members having seen the same info. So, I play it safe and rest cured, stuffed sausages overnight...Willie

naaaa... dissolved or not. 4hrs minimum for ground meat for me... over night with seasoning mixed in as well works best, for me ....

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky