Curing the dragon

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

zardnok

Meat Mopper
Original poster
OTBS Member
Aug 21, 2006
Shreveport La
I have recently inherited a large smoker that was custom built for my father. It is basically a side fire box design with a 3'X4' fire box with adjustable coal tray and a cooking grate to use direct cooking for steaks or other fast cooking meats. The smoke chamber is 3'diameter round by about 5' tall. There are 4-3 foot round grates that swivel out of the smoke chamber. The smoke chamber closes with 2 large steel doors and lock shut with swivel handles.

Unfortunately, my new toy was stolen last month and there was extensive damage. After extensive repairs, I picked my "Dragon" up from the shop and am looking forward to unveiling it tomorrow for the Saints vs Cowboy's tailgate party.

I rubbed down the entire surface with Olive Oil and dumped a bag of Kingsford inside and fired it up to cure the interior of the smoker before I cook on it. Currently the firebox temps are 500 and the smoke chamber is 250. I just tossed a small oak and a small pecan log onto the cheap coals to increase the heat a tad and try to raise the smoke chamber up to 300+ to cure it better.

Tomorrow I am smoking 2 briskets and 10 slabs of ribs for LOTS of hungry football fans, so I am up until I am satisfied with my temps and regulation abilities.

Sorry about the pit being stolen, but is sounds like you have a brand new pit on your hands. How about some pics?

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky