Curing Salt Question

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

chickenwing

Original poster
Apr 13, 2018
Greetings

I've been curing a 8.69lb pork belly for the last 12 days using the below recipe. Was planning to smoke it today.

https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/ams/making-bacon.9799/

I used the full strength brine but doubled it as I need two gallons of water to cover my pork belly in my curing bucket.

So I have 2 gallons of water along with 2 heaping tablespoons of Prague powder #1 (along with other salt/sugar ingredients in the recipe). I understood this this recipe as a "concentration" of salt. That is add 1 gallon and 1 tablespoon of curing salt until the meat is covered.

I started reading some other things and started to doubt myself. The below recipe calls for salt by weight of meat, specifically 1/4 teaspoon per pound. So that would .25*8.69 = 2.17 teaspoons or .724 tablespoons which is considerably less than the 2 tablespoons I used.

http://bbq4dummies.com/how-to-make-bacon-on-your-charcoal-grill-or-smoker/

I just want to be sure I have the appropriate amount of curing salt..... thanks in advance for any help!

First link is a true brine, the second is more of a slurry (closer to dry curing). as long as you use the tablespoon per gallon of liquid you will be fine. You have to take the amount of total weight of meat and liquid into account as you are seeking an equilibrium between the brine and meat in the end.

Barry.

Reactions: chickenwing
The bbq4dummies is a typical dry rub bacon curing recipe that they added 1/3c water to to speed the process. It's not an equilibrium brine that measures the weight of meat and water and adds the appropriate Cure #1. Pops Brine, 1Tbs Cure#1 per Gallon Water is similar and has been tested for effectiveness...JJ

I've got 3 tablespoons in my 1 gallon mix. Everything I've read here tells me you are in-line with your measurements. Funny, I too tend to doubt myself and "overthink" these things sometimes. There is just so much information out there it can really become overwhelming. Another reason why this site is so valuable, not only do you have access to a wealth of info, you have a community that is willing to help at the drop of a hat!!

Thanks all! I'll post some pics when it's done.

I'll smoke to 145 and then let rest. Do I need to hold off until tomorrow to slice and pan fry, or can I do tonight after it cools down?

I've got 3 tablespoons in my 1 gallon mix ...

Why do you have 3 TBS. of cure#1 in your 1 gallon mix ??? Do you have 35#'s of meat added to that 1 gallon ???

This is the recipe, from the site you noted, in post #1....

Wet Brine Recipe for 1 Pound of Pork Belly for Bacon
  • 1 pound of pork belly after trimming
  • 
1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt or fine grain seal salt
  • 
1/4 teaspoon Prague Powder #1
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons fresh ground black pepper (use a pepper mill–you WILL taste the difference)
  • 1 tablespoon brown sugar (dark is better)
  • 3 tablespoon Maple syrup
  • 1 tbl. molasses
  • 1/2 tsp Pickapeppa Sauce (sub Worcestershire Sauce if you can’t find it, but most chain grocers carry it)
  • 1/3 cup water
Mix all ingredients (except the pork belly–duh) thoroughly with the water and set aside. Be sure all salts are fully saturated in the liquid. You may have to apply some heat–just pull it before it boils. I didn’t use heat.

There are ongoing debates about using a wet or dry brine. Wet brines are safer because you’re virtually guaranteed equal coverage of the meat. Dry brines which are rubbed on can cure unevenly. Stick with the wet brine for bacon.

Last edited:
Bacon came out great!

BLTs and Bacon Burgers this weekend!

Thanks all for the help!

IMG_20180413_151751.jpg IMG_20180413_192019.jpg IMG_20180414_182954.jpg IMG_20180414_182705.jpg IMG_20180414_190328.jpg IMG_20180415_204139_985.jpg

Reactions: Bearcarver
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky